Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What’s In Your (Junk) Drawers?

What’s In Your (Junk) Drawers?

Author
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item What’s In Your (Junk) Drawers?

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
How many of us keep that "junk drawer" full of scripts that seem like they could be useful. Just collect a ton of scripts and maybe you will use it and maybe not.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

matt.bowler
matt.bowler
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I hear that! I have a handfull of scripts that I use every day, and folder upon folders of 'one day I'll sit down and sort thorugh this' scripts Smile
liebesiech
liebesiech
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)

I even found some UAT (user acceptance test) sign-off's (wet signature on paper!) which were soooo important to collect. After the project nobody dared to file them properly and they rot in my drawer. :-D
Otherwise, I try to keep my drawer's clean.
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Junk drawers are useful so that you can utter 'Ah, that's where it is...'.
Cadavre
Cadavre
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

I have no junk drawer. . . no, seriously.

I do have "junk scripts" on a file server though, loads of them that may or may not be useful Smile

Forever trying to learn

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

If you litter your database queries with nolock query hints, are you aware of the side effects?
Try reading a few of these links...

(*) Missing rows with nolock
(*) Allocation order scans with nolock
(*) Consistency issues with nolock
(*) Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock
(*) Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

Craig Wilkinson - Software Engineer
LinkedIn
JonnoJ
JonnoJ
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

I have a small junk drawer with pens, pencils (why so many??? :-P) keys, business cards, paracetamol, staples etc. and I have a big junk drawer with bigger stuff like spare (old) mouses, empty mouse boxes (huh?), multiple utp-cables, a hat (wtf...), a small ball which was thrown at me years ago (hahahha). And I even have a junk drawer from the former owner of my desk. :-P

Oh man... I have to clean up a bit, this is so evil!
Yup I also have a ton of unused scripts. October will be a good month for collecting garbage. Hehe
liebesiech
liebesiech
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)

Jon-413357 (9/29/2011)
I have a small junk drawer with pens, pencils (why so many??? :-P) keys, business cards, paracetamol, staples etc. and I have a big junk drawer with bigger stuff like spare (old) mouses, empty mouse boxes (huh?), multiple utp-cables, a hat (wtf...), a small ball which was thrown at me years ago (hahahha).

ha, ha, that's funny! Well, I have some power adapters and mouses as well but I regard them as valuable items ;-)
colin.freely
colin.freely
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)

It's not a Junk drawer, its a man drawer.

http://youtu.be/RgUpDGAIdds
paul.jones
paul.jones
Old Hand
Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)

When one colleague left we found, along with the usual selection of pens and stuff, some crackers and a range of individually wrapped cheese portions.

Unfortunately it took us a while to find them...Sick
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.