Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Unable to open DTS packages

Unable to open DTS packages

Author
MasterDB
Old Hand
Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi Folks,

I have a sql server 2000 instance.i migrated my databases and DTS packages to SQL server 2008 R2.

Am unable to open the DTS packages which i migrated from SQL SERVER 2000 to SQL SERVER 2008 R2.

i've installed SQL server 2000 DTS Designer components and SQL server 2005 Backward compatability Softwares which was suggested by Microsoft and then copied the .dll and .rll files suggested by microsoft and then changed the path in Environment Variables.

After doing all these things as well am getting the same error while opening DTS pkg. in SQL SERVER 2008 R2

error is :SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components are required to edit DTS packages. Install the special web download, "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components" to use this feature. (Microsoft.SqlServer.DtsObjectExploreUI).

Please Help me...

TIA...
spaghettidba
spaghettidba
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

1) Install \x86\Setup\x86\SQLServer2005_BC.msi from the installation (Select DTS 2000 RunTime and SQL-DMO).

2) Download and install
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/1/6/316FADB2-E703-4351-8E9C-E0B36D9D697E/SQLServer2005_DTS.msi

3) Copy SEMSFC.DLL, SQLGUI.DLL, SQLSVC.DLL
From C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn
To C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE
Change the path according to your SQL Server setup.

4) Copy SEMSFC.RLL, SQLGUI.RLL, and SQLSVC.RLL
From C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\Resources\1033
To C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Resources\1033
Change the path according to your SQL Server setup.

If you're using a language other than "US-English", copy the RLL files from your LCID.

Hope this helps
Gianluca

--
Gianluca Sartori

How to post T-SQL questions
spaghettidba.com
@spaghettidba
MasterDB
MasterDB
Old Hand
Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)Old Hand (348 reputation)

Thanks for your Reply..

Unfortunately after doing all these steps am unable to open the DTS Packages and the same is error is coming what i mentioned in my post..
RP_DBA
RP_DBA
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)

Bump - I'm also having this issue.

Short background on what I'm trying to do: modify a DTS package originally from SQL Server 2000 in 2008 R2 64-bit (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1).

Here's what I've done:
1. Stopped SQL Server service.
2. Installed SQLServer2005_BC_x64.msi (selecting 2000 DTS runtime and SQL-DMO)
3. Installed SQLServer2005_DTS.msi
4. Started SQL Service service.
5. Tried to open DTS package --> "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer components are required to edit DTS packages..."
6. Stopped SQL Server service.
7. Copied .DLL and .RLL as recommended by Gianluca above.
8. Started SQL Server service.
9. Tried to open DTS package --> "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer components are required to edit DTS packages..."

Any ideas?

@nate_hughes
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

You probably need to copy the files not to
C:\Program Files

But to:
C:\Program Files (x86)

CEWII
RP_DBA
RP_DBA
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)Right there with Babe (767 reputation)

Yep, my bad Elliott.

However that was where I put them, I just forgot to note it in my steps taken.

@nate_hughes
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Well shoot, last time I had to do this those steps fixed it for me..

Re-apply service pack? I know its reaching, but my toolbox for this empty..

CEWII
JeremyE
JeremyE
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

You might have to change the environment variables.

Right click Computer / Properties / Advanced system settings / Environment variables

In the “path” system variable make sure:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\

Comes before:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\

This has worked for me in the past.
RP_DBA
RP_DBA
Right there with Babe

Thxs Jeremy but no dice.

Changed the "path" system variable, rebooted and am still getting the "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer components are required to edit DTS packages..." message.

@nate_hughes
ALZDBA
ALZDBA
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)

We choose to leave one SQL2000 instance to host DTS-packages until the project teams get budget to upgrade the packages to SSIS.
Main reason is to avoid troubles as you have.
We run these dts packages from SQL2005 sqlagent jobs which us a proxy account that is able to execute the dts packages saved in the SQL2000.

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere w00t

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution" :-D

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me Alien but most of the time this is me Hehe
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.