SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How well do you know MAX?

How well do you know MAX?

Author
Rafael Krisller
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (431 reputation)SSC-Addicted (431 reputation)SSC-Addicted (431 reputation)SSC-Addicted (431 reputation)SSC-Addicted (431 reputation)SSC-Addicted (431 reputation)SSC-Addicted (431 reputation)SSC-Addicted (431 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Great question!

Thanks
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

thanks for the ¿

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

I thought this question was about using approximate data types so got it right for the wrong reason.
AmolNaik
AmolNaik
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Excellent question and indeed a brain teaser!

Amol Naik
john.arnott
john.arnott
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Cliff Jones (8/5/2011)
I thought this question was about using approximate data types so got it right for the wrong reason.

I would hope that most viewers of this understand that the FLOAT datatype is generally not a good idea for monetary values, but let's say it to be sure.
Rose Bud
Rose Bud
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

This has been one of the best weeks for QOTD that I can remember, and today's question was like the frosting on the cake! Thanks to all of you who put the effort into submitting questions to educate and amuse us.
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

john.arnott (8/5/2011)
Cliff Jones (8/5/2011)

I would hope that most viewers of this understand that the FLOAT datatype is generally not a good idea for monetary values, but let's say it to be sure.

I would hope that most people realise that in applications where monetary values range from 0.01 units to 90071992547409.92 units (something over nine hundred million million units), and no greater accuracy than two places after the point is needed, float (which is a synonym for float(53)) is usually far more storage efficient and usually far mor eperformance efficient than any decimal or money type, and no less accurate. Let's hope people also realise that that covers the vast majority of applications involving monetary values.

But. let's say it, just to be sure that the anti-float myth invented years ago by Cobol advocates is not carried over unchallenged into modern times.

Tom

SanDroid
SanDroid
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Tom.Thomson (8/5/2011)
john.arnott (8/5/2011)
Cliff Jones (8/5/2011)

I would hope that most people realise that in applications where monetary values range from 0.01 units to 90071992547409.92 units (something over nine hundred million million units), and no greater accuracy than two places after the point is needed, float (which is a synonym for float(53)) is usually far more storage efficient and usually far mor eperformance efficient than any decimal or money type, and no less accurate. Let's hope people also realise that that covers the vast majority of applications involving monetary values.

But. let's say it, just to be sure that the anti-float myth invented years ago by Cobol advocates is not carried over unchallenged into modern times.

Nice one TOM... FLOATing is better than SINking... Cool Hehe

"Life is tough, it's tougher if your are stupid and use COBOL"
-RGB develeopment team motto
SanDroid
SanDroid
SSCommitted

Great Question. Saw that your NOT IN had only one result and NOT ;-) two right away.
Paul White
Paul White
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

You almost had me Laugh

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.