Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cannot drop the database XXX because it is being used for replication.

Author
e.francone
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

When I try to drop the XXX database SQLServer returns me this error message:

Server: Msg 3724, Level 16, State 3, Line 1

I've also tried to execute the following code but nothing has changed.

exec sp_removedbreplication 'XXX'
go
exec sp_dboption 'XXX','published',false
go
exec sp_dboption 'XXX','merge publish',false
go

The XXX DB is a restore of "Distribution" database of a Production Server that is a publication server!

Someone can help me?

Thanks for all suggestions!!!

Frank

Rodrigo Acosta
Rodrigo Acosta
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Please, run sp_helpreplicationdb to check with databases are marked for replication.

Distribution is for replication but should not be marked for replication, so you should be able to restore it at any time.

e.francone
e.francone
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

I want to drop XXX Db that contains a restore of "distribution" database of a production server. I've tried to use sp_helpreplicationdb but I'm not be able to drop XXX DB.

Can you give me some more advices?

Thanks.

Frank

Christopher Klein
Christopher Klein
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)

what type of replication?

What I've had to run to make sure my scripts are starting clean for merge replication are as follows:

'Drop any subscriptions
exec sp_dropmergesubscription @publication = N'<publication>''

'Drop the publication
exec sp_dropmergepublication @publication = N'<publication>'

'Set the DB to not be for replication
exe sp_replicationdboption @dbname= N'<db>' @optname=N'merge publish' @value = 'FALSE'

If you're using trans rep I believe the commands are similar.

Also if you go into EM and right-click the publication you can choose 'generate script' which will give you the option to see the script for creating or droping the publications.

regards,

Chris

majbou
majbou
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

although it's not recommended, sometimes you 'll have to update the REPLINFO column in SYSOBJECTS.

Maj.

Nonenone-147172
Nonenone-147172
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

You can restore another database backup, that don`t have replications configured, over the database that you want to delete(with the "force restore over existing database" option marked). Doing this you will overwrite the sysobjects lines that saves the replication parameters and the SQL Server will alow you to delete the database.

I hope It`s easy to understand..

Mila.

e.francone
e.francone
Grasshopper

Nonenone!! Thanks a lot!!!

Raja Abubaker-455153
Raja Abubaker-455153
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

take the datbase offline and then drop it.

raja

JeremyE
JeremyE
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Set Category for the database to 0 in master.dbo.sysdatabases. Then you can delete it.
casia
casia
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hi
I have the same problem
I tried the following

update sysdatabases
set Category = 0
where dbid = 13

but I get the following error
Msg 259, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Ad hoc updates to system catalogs are not allowed.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.