SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Get count while insert is still running

Get count while insert is still running

Author
homebrew01
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm running something like this:

more:

waitfor delay '00:00:05'

insert top (1000) into TableB Select *
from TableA A where A.ID not in (select ID from TableB) -- not already inserted

if @@rowcount > 0 goto more

Assuming there are 100,000 records to be inserted (100 loops), should I expect to get a result when it's halfway through if I run:

select count(*) from TableB with (nolock)

Or will my count be 0 until it completes ?

Update: I cancelled the insert, modified some code, and now it seems to be working .... basically: inefficient code.

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)

You'll see it as it inserts.

Not 100% sure you'll get any numbers like 16472 instead of multiples of 1000. But that might be a fun test to setup.

Care to do it and post the results?
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

It's been running 2 hours and I get 0 Sad

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)

homebrew01 (7/26/2011)
It's been running 2 hours and I get 0 Sad

What is it waiting on? (sp_WhoIsActive)
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCertifiable

I have a process to alert me if there's blocking, but no problems so far.

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated

Don't know what to tell you. I've definitely done this in the past and I was getting ever increasing counts in the table. I don't know what could be the difference (except that you're looking in the wrong table but I don't dare to suggest that option :w00tSmile
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCertifiable

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/26/2011)
Don't know what to tell you. I've definitely done this in the past and I was getting ever increasing counts in the table. I don't know what could be the difference (except that you're looking in the wrong table but I don't dare to suggest that option :w00tSmile

I thought I've done it in the past too .... I'm checking the right table .... could be some other brain fart going on with the where clause.

homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCertifiable

Update: I cancelled the insert, modified some code, and now it seems to be working .... basically: inefficient code.

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated

Happy to almost have helped Hehe.
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCertifiable

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.