Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

PBM Alert

PBM Alert

Author
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Shark Energy (7/22/2011)
cengland0 (7/22/2011)
Hey, wait a second. According to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510667.aspx

Administering Policy-Based Management requires membership in the PolicyAdministratorRole role in the msdb database. This role has complete control of all policies on the system. This control includes creating and editing policies and conditions and enabling and disabling policies.

So tell me why did I get it wrong?

As well as the decent explanation you've already been given, the option in the question was actually PolicyAdministrator rather than the correct role name of PolicyAdministratorRole

There was that part too:-D

Glad to see you caught that

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

I am somewhat intrigued to see that so far only 19% of respondents have answered correctly.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

SQLVoila
SQLVoila
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)

calvo (7/22/2011)
cengland0 (7/22/2011)
Hey, wait a second. According to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510667.aspx

Administering Policy-Based Management requires membership in the PolicyAdministratorRole role in the msdb database. This role has complete control of all policies on the system. This control includes creating and editing policies and conditions and enabling and disabling policies.

So tell me why did I get it wrong?

He mentions testing the alert before pushing to production which indicates an on-demand test. Reading further in the link you'll see
"Alert security:

When policies are evaluated on demand, they execute in the security context of the user. To write to the error log, the user must have ALTER TRACE permissions or be a member of the sysadmin fixed server role. Policies that are evaluated by a user that has less privileges will not write to the event log, and will not fire an alert."

Although sysadmin will work, it's not the minimum permission Sad

BOL also says: Alerts are raised only for policies that are enabled. Because On demand policies cannot be enabled, alerts are not raised for policies that are executed on demand.

that means no alert will be raised when execute policy on demand. am I missing something?

Great question and discussion BTW.
tilew-948340
tilew-948340
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)

"PolciyAdministrator is not a role in the msdb database"

Almost half of the people thought it was a role w00t
So very good question! Thanks!
db4breakfast
db4breakfast
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (441 reputation)SSC-Addicted (441 reputation)SSC-Addicted (441 reputation)SSC-Addicted (441 reputation)SSC-Addicted (441 reputation)SSC-Addicted (441 reputation)SSC-Addicted (441 reputation)SSC-Addicted (441 reputation)

tough one for my midnight snack. : )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hai Ton
My Db4Breakfast blog.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane

tilew-948340 (7/22/2011)
"PolciyAdministrator is not a role in the msdb database"

Almost half of the people thought it was a role w00t
So very good question! Thanks!

Thank you

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

jlennartz
jlennartz
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)

I need to reread the question before answering, I missed the at minimum and went with sysadmin fixed server role.w00t
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Great question, thanks!

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.