I've had this problem a number of times: every so often, I receive errors like this when trying to query an Excel xls file:
OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "(null)" returned message "Could not find installable ISAM.".
Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "(null)".
What I've tried:
1. Ensuring the Excel file is not open. The OPENROWSET() statement is correctly configured, b/c the query works sometimes.
2. Bouncing the SQL service. This always
fixes the problem, but doesn't tell me why it happens or when it will recur. And of course, it's a horrible "solution."
3. Checking MDAC. Used the MS consistency checker, and all looked OK.
4. Reading in the file saved in Excel XSLX 2007 format using the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider. This game me the following out-of-memory error:
Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "(null)" reported an error. The provider ran out of memory.
Msg 7320, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot execute the query "SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]" against OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "(null)".
5. Tweaking the "MemToLeave" setting with the -g startup switch for the service, as described here: http://www.johnsansom.com/sql-server-memory-configuration-determining-memtoleave-settings/#axzz1SkRKB7Fz
. I later ran the query given at his web page and returned the following values of Total avail mem, KB: 23800 and Max free size, Kb: 3444.
UPDATE: After a service restart, I immediately checked and got values of 216056 and 91840 for Total Available Memory, Kb and Max Free Size, Kb, respectively. Again, after a service restart I had no problem running the same OpenRowset() query. I started the service without the "-g" flag, using default values of MemToLeave. BOL (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190737%28v=SQL.90%29.aspx
) says the default is 256 Mb.
This seems to suggest that there's insufficient RAM for running the OPENROWSET() query, consistent with the out-of-memory error trying to execute the query using the ACE.OLDEDB.12.0 provider for the XSLX file.
I've seen enough blog postings to know that this is a pervasive problem with an often indeterminate solution.
this a problem caused by insufficient memory for Virtual Address Space?
2. If so, how do I find the cause of the problem?
3. If not, what can I do to fix this so it doesn't recur?
This is a significant problem for me, b/c I'm using OPENROWSET for importing Excel files into SQL. I am reluctant to use SSIS, b/c it's hitting a nail with a sledge hammer.
Any assistance would be welcome.