SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Changing Owner or Mirrored DBs

Changing Owner or Mirrored DBs

Author
kapfundestanley
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Always know that there are some commands which will run on the principal database and not the mirror.So remove mirroring change database owner and reconfigure mirroring.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
kapfundestanley
kapfundestanley
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

You cant change anything on the mirrored databases.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
kapfundestanley
kapfundestanley
Ten Centuries

Remove mirroring and reset again,that is how i do it.

Gazareth
Gazareth
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

You could fail over to partner, change owner at mirror, fail back to principal.

Assuming you'd be allowed to do that given the disruption during fail over!
houming1982
houming1982
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

If we need to do modifications on mirror database, we must make it writable (set partner off + restore with recovery). But if the mirroring should be reset, we must restore the last backup of the principal database, then the log, then the mirroring, which means all the modifications we did on mirror database is meaningless...

Assume that the dbowner of the principal database is "A", and your SQL account is "B". when you restore the backup of the principal database to the DR instance, the dbowner of the mirror database will be "B". How could we change "B" to "A" on the mirror database if we do not want to do the failover, please?

regards
Gazareth
Gazareth
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

houming1982 (4/16/2013)
If we need to do modifications on mirror database, we must make it writable (set partner off + restore with recovery). But if the mirroring should be reset, we must restore the last backup of the principal database, then the log, then the mirroring, which means all the modifications we did on mirror database is meaningless...

Assume that the dbowner of the principal database is "A", and your SQL account is "B". when you restore the backup of the principal database to the DR instance, the dbowner of the mirror database will be "B". How could we change "B" to "A" on the mirror database if we do not want to do the failover, please?

regards

Easiest way, connect to the mirror server as "A", rather than yourself, and run the restores.
houming1982
houming1982
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

Gazareth (4/16/2013)

Easiest way, connect to the mirror server as "A", rather than yourself, and run the restores.

What if we do not know the password of the login "A"?
Gazareth
Gazareth
Hall of Fame

houming1982 (4/17/2013)
Gazareth (4/16/2013)

What if we do not know the password of the login "A"?

Unfortunately, in that case you'll need to go through the failover process.
Wish you could specify the owner as part of the restore statement but no joy. Not sure if 'execute as' would work but I wouldn't count on it :-)
houming1982
houming1982
Forum Newbie

Wish you could specify the owner as part of the restore statement but no joy. Not sure if 'execute as' would work but I wouldn't count on it :-)

Thank you very much for your reply, Gazareth. I tried with "execute as login = 'A'", then restore backup and log by commands (the prerequisite is that login "A" has the same permissions on both servers), and it works! :-D
Gazareth
Gazareth
Hall of Fame

houming1982 (4/19/2013)

Thank you very much for your reply, Gazareth. I tried with "execute as login = 'A'", then restore backup and log by commands (the prerequisite is that login "A" has the same permissions on both servers), and it works! :-D

Cool, did not expect that to work! Good one to remember! :-)
Cheers
Gaz
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.