SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Phrases that Resonate

Phrases that Resonate

Author
Eric M Russell
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
:-)

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Rose Bud
Rose Bud
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

One of my favorite explanatory expressions: "We could do it that way but it would like using a sledge hammer to kill a flea."
GSquared
GSquared
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

Andy, I have to say, your flying ship phrase amused me.

One that I've misappropriated is "data stream", to indicate the flow of data from first arrival to final rest or evaporation. Business people "get it" when I use that phrase. They easily grasp that the stream of data includes people as well as computers, and so on. It's not the "official" definition of the phrase, it's just how I've been misusing it for decades.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
andycao
andycao
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)

"Do you want a Yugo, a Buick, or a Porsche?" I use that when the business asks for a quick, but potentially long-living database application. Then I explain you can do simply collect the information in Excel, or get some querying capability in MS Access, or wait a little longer and a get a top-of-line fast-running, scalable, maintainable solution on SQL Server.

michael.packard
michael.packard
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)

2 of my faves where I work are:
"Do you want a Yugo to pull a Semi Trailer?"
and
"You have a toothpick holding up the fortress."

This is usually reserved for some of the Access databases they have around here that I have to support..Crying
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

A good few years ago, a guy called Keith Bontrager, when heading up a company manufacturing mountain bike parts, summed up his customers' buying dilemma - and the compromise every manufacturer had to balance - by saying "Cheap, light, strong. Pick any two". I've used the same format several times in different scenarios to highlight to my customers necessary compromises e.g. "Cheap, on time, fully functional; pick any two"

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

andycao (6/16/2011)
"Do you want a Yugo, a Buick, or a Porsche?" I use that when the business asks for a quick, but potentially long-living database application. Then I explain you can do simply collect the information in Excel, or get some querying capability in MS Access, or wait a little longer and a get a top-of-line fast-running, scalable, maintainable solution on SQL Server.

A Toyota Corola isn't as fast as a Porsche or as cheap as Yugo, but it is reliable, has plenty of legg room, and comes equipped with the standard options. If I had to compare the databases I design to a car, that's what it would be; a Corola.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Jeff Kunkel-812485
Jeff Kunkel-812485
Old Hand
Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)

"Frequent Flyer": a term used to describe a user that requires an excessive amount of attention from IT or training resources.
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Only just remembered. Most of our users don't understand much about the IT infrastructure necessary to support the business, but when a colleague called himself a network ferret, the penny dropped for everyone.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Uripedes Pants
Uripedes Pants
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (809 reputation)SSC Eights! (809 reputation)SSC Eights! (809 reputation)SSC Eights! (809 reputation)SSC Eights! (809 reputation)SSC Eights! (809 reputation)SSC Eights! (809 reputation)SSC Eights! (809 reputation)

this isn't really an IT phrase, but a couple of us hung on to it. Several years ago I was trying to explain something to a coworker who just wasn't there that day... after several rounds of deer-in-the-headlights, she suddenly made the break-through and said, "Oh, you need to talk to me in CAPITOL LETTERS TODAY".
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.