SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using SQL Server to collect information from your Oracle server

Using SQL Server to collect information from your Oracle server

Author
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
daveriya (6/6/2011)
if you installed oracle client on sql server ,then what is the use of if.u need to create linked server to oracle client and then oracle client make connection to oracle server

If you do not install the Oracle client on your SQL server then the link connection will not work or not work properly.

When you create a "linked" connection in SQL server; the server itself is connecting to Oracle (or other SQL servers) and not your desktop.

To understand how linked server connection works I recommend Book On Line (BOL). In this article I am assuming that you know how linked servers work. It's not hard just takes some time to read through.

The only thing that the Oracle client is going to provide you is the correct drivers in order for SQL server to connect to Oracle.

I hope his answers your question.

Thanks,

Rudy

Damian Widera-396333
Damian Widera-396333
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (528 reputation)

IMO this should be the service name taken from tnsnames.ora

Kindest Regards,

Damian Widera
SQL Server MVP,
MCT, MCSE Data Platform, MCSD.NET
aleksey2001
aleksey2001
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

JunkMail Victim (6/6/2011)
Great article. It's so much easier to gather Oracle information from SQL Server than Oracle itself.

Oh yeah, it's ease and PAINFULLY SLOW.
I used this configuration many times in different environments and was happy, but in our current environment we have a need to move ~ 1 million rows from SQL Server to Oracle and this job takes several hours to complete. To unload this data to plain text it takes 20 seconds. To load this data from plain text to Oracle it takes several minutes, so simple INSERT ... SELECT ... is a killer.
Good luck with that configuration!
And what's wrong with Oracle-to-Oracle? DBLINK works just fine.
JunkMail Victim
JunkMail Victim
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)

Hello aleksey2001.

I do internal audit work. My ability to work with information through SQL Server is much greater than in Oracle. Collecting Oracle environmental data through SQL Server is a blessing. So far, I get the results every bit as fast through this method as I do when checking the SQL Server environment alone. Even if it was slow, I could wait.

Everything has its purpose and benefit. This occurs irrespective of your personal wants and desires.

I'm still very glad for the information.
aleksey2001
aleksey2001
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

JunkMail Victim (8/10/2011)
Hello aleksey2001.

I do internal audit work. My ability to work with information through SQL Server is much greater than in Oracle. Collecting Oracle environmental data through SQL Server is a blessing. So far, I get the results every bit as fast through this method as I do when checking the SQL Server environment alone. Even if it was slow, I could wait.

Everything has its purpose and benefit. This occurs irrespective of your personal wants and desires.

I'm still very glad for the information.

Hi JunkMail Victim,

Unfortunately not all users are as patient as you are. They are not willing to wait for several hours to transfer data. I'm not trying to say that it wouldn't work for anybody. It's just I really frustrated with slowness of that configuration at this moment because I need to deal with flat files transfer via SSIS job which need to be run from .Net application. It sucks big time.

BTW I love audit options of ORACLE and kind of confused with SQL Server . Check out the fine grained auditing in Oracle. It's really neat.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.