SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Reason that might cause Database became In Recovery in SQL Server 2008

Reason that might cause Database became In Recovery in SQL Server 2008

Author
ratna_ain
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,

I have a problem in SQL Server 2008 R2.
I was running a query that updated huge data in database, therefore it takes a lot of time to finish.
And before the query has been finished (after 1 hour processing), I got error message "Cannot open database "XXX" requested by the login. The login failed". And then I tried to connect to that database again, and the Database became XXX(In Recovery). After 5 hours, the database has recovered on its own.

Does anybody know what is the problem that might cause this issues(database became In Recovery)?

Thanks in advance
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)

SQL was restarted and a large transaction had to either roll back or roll forward.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

RakeshRSingh
RakeshRSingh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Hi Gail,

I was also stuck in similar scenario, and my database went into DBName(Recovery) for a short time and then in backgorund it took 16 hour for the rollback part to complete.

I just wanted to discuss Fast Recovery Concept of SQL Server. As long as the database is showing (in Recovery) in Management Studio it is Roll-Forward going on. And after that Rollback happens in background.

Moral of the Story:- Never Restart your server while a heavy transaction is going on. And if you did make sure you are watching Error Log to give some reason about slow performance.

Thanks
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)

RakeshRSingh (6/1/2011)
I just wanted to discuss Fast Recovery Concept of SQL Server. As long as the database is showing (in Recovery) in Management Studio it is Roll-Forward going on. And after that Rollback happens in background.

Enterprise edition only. All other editions the rollback is offline too.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

Just FYI, we had a guy who had autoshrink and autoclose to on which also cause a similar issue (db went in and out recovery without any obvious reason and it caused a lot of troubles).
ratna_ain
ratna_ain
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)

Thanks all.

That's because I used virtual Machine and the database is very huge.
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

ratna_ain (7/8/2011)
Thanks all.

That's because I used virtual Machine and the database is very huge.

I agree with the huge db part but virtualized machine, when well configured shouldn't be a massive factor here...
ratna_ain
ratna_ain
SSC Journeyman

Yes SSCoach, may be there is a problem with the configuration of the virtual machine.
Because when I run same query to the same database in the physical server, it takes less time to finish than in that virtual machine.

Thank you
Ignacio A. Salom Rangel
Ignacio A. Salom Rangel
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)

ratna_ain (7/13/2011)
Yes SSCoach, may be there is a problem with the configuration of the virtual machine.
Because when I run same query to the same database in the physical server, it takes less time to finish than in that virtual machine.

Thank you

I also use virtual machines and so far I can't complain about the performance. Did you make sure all the resources are being comnitted to the virtual machine and that your host is not overcommitting?
Check this article by Brent Ozar.

My blog

suneet.tg
suneet.tg
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Hi,

While updating the data in the table you have lost the connectivity.You can check the Logs,there was a connection lost error.

To overcome the recovery problem always shrink you log files.

Gaurav and Suneet.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.