SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A story of corrupted Master database in SQL Server 2008

A story of corrupted Master database in SQL Server 2008

Author
Yogeshwar Phull
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A story of corrupted Master database in SQL Server 2008
Mark S. Rasmussen
Mark S. Rasmussen
Valued Member
Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)

Interesting story! You don't mention anything about what caused the corruption however?

One thing is fixing the corruption, but I'd be very wary of just restoring the system back the way it was, without examining what caused the corruption in the first place. If it's a fried IO subsystem, it's probably just a matter of time before the corruption reoccurs.

Mark S. Rasmussen
Blog: improve.dk
Twitter: @improvedk
Internals geek & author of OrcaMDF
Martin Catherall
Martin Catherall
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)

Interesting read - thanks for sharing.

I'd be interested also in knowing the cause of the corruption.
Also, you say that you restored your user databases. I am assuming that they were also corrupt - possibly for the same unknown reason - although did you verify this? and if so, how?

some good tips there though - thanks.

Carl Walden
Carl Walden
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

I like Mark thinking and I would have followed Mark's point to know why such corrpution took place and to ensure it never happens again or if it does I have the solution to tackle it.

CEWalden
Nakul Vachhrajani
Nakul Vachhrajani
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Thank-you for the article. It was a good read (sounded more like a blog post though). The readers got some good tips out of it, but what remains is a mystery is how the master database got corrupted. Something has to have gone wrong - things don't just blow up all of a sudden. It would have been nice if you could have made a passing reference (like "...the master database got corrupted because ... "). If it was something new or unheard of - it might save somebody else a few sleepless afternoons.

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
Christoph Muthmann
Christoph Muthmann
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)

Good story! I think, you should as well add the link to the MSDN Library.
Rebuilding System Databases
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207003(v=SQL.100).aspx

Please tell us more about the reason of the corruption and why restoring user databases.

Greetings,
Christoph Muthmann
SQL Server MVP
Ramon Jimenez
Ramon Jimenez
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (680 reputation)Say Hey Kid (680 reputation)Say Hey Kid (680 reputation)Say Hey Kid (680 reputation)Say Hey Kid (680 reputation)Say Hey Kid (680 reputation)Say Hey Kid (680 reputation)Say Hey Kid (680 reputation)

How long did was your database now?

How do they fix WMI error?

Where you able to find any relationship between all the events (WMI, MOF, master corruption)?

Any clue about the root cause?

Regards Ramon
RichB
RichB
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Just as a matter of curiosity, is there any reason why you didn't simply attach all the user databases? Had their original files disappeared?

SQLZ
SQLZ
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Good article - I just have one tiny issue which I quote here: "We were lucky to have the backups of system and user databases available....:"

Having backups of your system and user databases should never (ever) be a matter of luck... Maybe you should put you Monday naps to better use and verify your backups:-P

Karl
source control for SQL Server
Christoph Muthmann
Christoph Muthmann
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)SSC-Addicted (452 reputation)

After restoring master it is only necessary to attach the databases which were created after the last backup of master. All other databases should be available immediate.

Cheers,
Christoph
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.