Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Getting an error "Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown." during stored...

Getting an error "Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown." during stored procedure execution

Author
Jonathon Williams
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Figured it out... It was my desktop running the SSMS and executing the query that ran out of memory
Schadenfreude-Mei
Schadenfreude-Mei
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

well yes that would normally be the cause of 'out of memory', but there are things you can do to prevent that.

Adam Zacks

-------------------------------------------

Be Nice, Or Leave
curious_sqldba
curious_sqldba
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

Schadenfreude-Mei (4/18/2012)
well yes that would normally be the cause of 'out of memory', but there are things you can do to prevent that.

I have also seen this ty of behavior when I run fr my local machine....how do you prevent that?
Schadenfreude-Mei
Schadenfreude-Mei
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

sqldba_newbie (4/23/2012)
Schadenfreude-Mei (4/18/2012)

I have also seen this ty of behavior when I run fr my local machine....how do you prevent that?

If it is a large query you may want to break it down or copy to temp tables or something. Ultimately though you might have to run it from the server. Its sounds a bit stereotypical but a reboot of your local machine may also help.

Adam Zacks

Be Nice, Or Leave
pradeep.mohan
pradeep.mohan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue in my production database whenever right click database >> Task >> restore >>database.

Server configuration :

32 GB RAM
64 bit O/S
2 processors
Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5620 @2.40GHZ
service pack 2
SQL server 2008R2

I think this is sufficient information about the server.

In that server over all 750 databases which around 60 GB. And log shipping configure around 700 databases.

Error screenshot attached for ref.

Thanks.

Pradeep
Attachments
Error.docx (5 views, 24.00 KB)
MMartin1
MMartin1
Ten Centuries

I had seen this error when I was processing tons of records on a virtual machine. My solution was breaking the query down into batches. That is, using a loop to only process about 5,000 a time. Do you happen to know how long your query would take to execute without the out of memory hangup?

----------------------------------------------------
How to post forum questions to get the best help
pradeep.mohan
pradeep.mohan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)

Pls help me on this.

Pradeep
Schadenfreude-Mei
Schadenfreude-Mei
Ten Centuries

what your issue. symptoms?

Adam Zacks

Be Nice, Or Leave
pradeep.mohan
pradeep.mohan
SSC-Enthusiastic

When i am doing right click database >> Task >> restore >>database. I am getting below error

"Exception of type 'system.outofmemoryexception' was thrown"

Server configuration :

32 GB RAM
64 bit O/S
2 processors
Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5620 @2.40GHZ
service pack 2
SQL server 2008R2 (Standard Edition)

Note: In that server over all 850 databases which around 120 GB. And log shipping configured around 750 databases.

Error screenshot attached for ref.

thanks,

Pradeep
Attachments
Error.docx (6 views, 24.00 KB)
Sean Pearce
Sean Pearce
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Are you running SSMS locally or on the server?

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.