SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Looking for Work in SQL Server

Looking for Work in SQL Server

Author
Brandie Tarvin
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
just_myles (5/28/2012)
...and this site has been detrimental for me staying on target and being motivated through these tough times...

How has this site been detrimental to you? I find it useful.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)

just_myles (5/28/2012)
Anyway ranting aside, I believe your article was very informative for a struggling dude like me, and this site has been detrimental for me staying on target and being motivated through these tough times.

Did you mean "instrumental" instead of "detrimental"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Evil Kraig F
Evil Kraig F
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)

Thanks for the kind words Myles and I'm glad it could help.

just_myles (5/28/2012)

Anyway ranting aside, I believe your article was very informative for a struggling dude like me, and this site has been detrimental for me staying on target and being motivated through these tough times.

Man there is so much I want to ask, but I'll uh, chill out. Anyway good article man.

The others have asked for the clarification as well but I'm confused too... XD

However, if there's things you'd like to ask, please feel free.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
just_myles
just_myles
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

ooohh instrumental, detrimental, potato, potatoe Smile

Anyway I do have a bunch of questions though.
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

just_myles (5/30/2012)

Hee.

Anyway I do have a bunch of questions though.

So ask. @=)

If they're related to the article, ask here. If they're related to general job hunting questions, ask in the career's forum.

If they're related to SQL Server, just click HOME up above and go to the appropriate SQL version / subforum. That's what everyone is here for. If you're willing to expend a little effort, we're willing to show you the way.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)

just_myles (5/30/2012)

Heh... Make fun of it if you want but it's not like the difference between potato and potatoe. I can just see the interview now. "I don't have much production experience but I believe I bring some detrimental talent to the table". ;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Kiara
Kiara
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)

Jeff Moden (6/1/2012)
just_myles (5/30/2012)

Heh... Make fun of it if you want but it's not like the difference between potato and potatoe. I can just see the interview now. "I don't have much production experience but I believe I bring some detrimental talent to the table". ;-)

I've passed over potential new hires over that type of word misuse - particularly on resumes. I don't worry about it much in online forums, where it's more common to write quickly. But when I get a resume that reads "decimated information" rather than "disseminated information", it's a red flag about their ability to pay attention to details when those details matter.

-Ki
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.