SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Dating for DBAs

Dating for DBAs

Author
Steve Hall
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice question - the links are particularly useful.

Steve Hall
Linkedin
Blog Site
Chris Houghton
Chris Houghton
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)SSC Eights! (904 reputation)

paul.knibbs (4/6/2011)
Pity you can't split the results by nationality--I wonder how many British or European DBAs would get this one wrong? :-)

At least one ;-)
cdiebolt
cdiebolt
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)

Add one more european developer! ;-)
I didn't know that the 2nd answer is dateformat dependent. Whistling

cengland0
cengland0
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Good question, I lost 2 points but learned something.
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

Nice question! And I just love the punny title.

UMG Developer (4/5/2011)
Nice question, thanks!

How many people actually use the ODBC date literals?

Few, I would hope ;-)
Luckily I have seen them before, and I knew which two answers are not correct, so from that I deduced that ODBC dates using yyyy-mm-dd must be language independent.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Richard Warr
Richard Warr
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Good question. Being in London (where we speak a 'foreign' version of English) helped to get it right.:-)

SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)SSC Eights! (901 reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (4/6/2011)

Few, I would hope ;-)

Actually, the ODBC format can be quite useful when you are developing a system fetching data in may different data sources, as you can unify the way you write you dates in your queries. But beside that type of usage, I agree it's probably best to use another syntax.

sjimmo
sjimmo
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

Excellent question. Got it wrong - but learned a lot.:-)

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Duncan Pryde
Duncan Pryde
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

I'm glad people are liking the question - thanks for the positive comments everyone.

I was motivated to come up with the question after following a discussion relating to a QotD from a few weeks ago. There was some (at times quite heated!) debate around language-independent date formats, so I thought it would be good material for a question, and hopefully some more discussion.

Incidentally, there's a "second date" scheduled to be published next week, so anything you read in those links could be handy... Cool
Duncan Pryde
Duncan Pryde
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

paul.knibbs (4/6/2011)
Pity you can't split the results by nationality--I wonder how many British or European DBAs would get this one wrong? :-)

I'll admit that I deliberately chose '04-28-2011' as a potential answer rather than '28-04-2011', but this was more because I reckoned there might be more people using the first format in their daily lives, rather than being a deliberate attempt to target our friends across the pond. Honest.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.