SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Extended Properties Introduction

Extended Properties Introduction

Author
Adam Aspin
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Extended Properties Introduction
Vedran Kesegic
Vedran Kesegic
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)SSC Eights! (946 reputation)

You can easily view column comments with free plugin called XDetails.
Here is screenshot (Description is field with column comments):

You can download it here: www.sqlxdetails.com

steve.casey
steve.casey
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)

I fear the spell-checker has struck! You have "ellipse button" where you meant to say "ellipsis button"...
Adam Aspin
Adam Aspin
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)

Doh! Speling wil be my undiong! - Thanks Steve!
P Jones
P Jones
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Getting extended properties in is easy enough especially with a bit of help from scripting. It is getting them out again in the form of meaningful documents that is the hard part.
Adam Aspin
Adam Aspin
Say Hey Kid

I quite agree - and the next article addresses this problem, in as much as I can.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)

Superb article, Adam. It's loaded with info and an easy read to boot. I like your writing style a lot!

This is going into my "must read" locker for newbies. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Adam Aspin
Adam Aspin
Say Hey Kid

Thanks Jeff - praise from a leading light like yourself makes my day!
There are three more articles to come (one a week for 3 weeks) which, hopefully, will help newbies not only add, but also extract and update this metadata in a comprehensive manner.
Adam
Alexander Kuznetsov
Alexander Kuznetsov
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)

Adam,

Alternatively, I can just store all I want in my own table, and then I can work with sets of rows, search on any criteria I wish etc., and the next release is less likely break anything.

What would be the disadvantages of rolling my own solution, except for referential integrity?
ACinAZ
ACinAZ
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)

Nicely done; looking forward to the rest of the articles.

I created an Excel/VBA solution for my current gig that read in the metadata for the tables and columns into a workbook (one worksheet per table). We then handed that to the analysts/worksmiths to have the descriptions crafted. Once they were done, another button in the workbook parsed through all the Description columns and created or updated the Extended Properties for the objects. Turned out very simple and very little coding. Any updates to the database are easily handled by the VBA code, so maintenance is a breeze (except for the analysts/wordsmiths who have to do the actual updating in the Excel file!). It's a two-way tool, creating the Data Dictionary (in Excel) from the database and using the same tool in turn to update the EP values in the database.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.