Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What is SSIS? Step 1 of the Stairway to Integration Services

What is SSIS? Step 1 of the Stairway to Integration Services

Author
Andy Leonard
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (507 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item What is SSIS? Step 1 of the Stairway to Integration Services

Andy Leonard
Data Philosopher, Enterprise Data & Analytics
maroon-78
maroon-78
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)

Hi Andy,
Any chance that you can move your articles out of the future and into the present? The first article has a posting date of 2011/03/30 and this is only 2011/02/18. Thanks for articles and allowing us to go back to the future to read them!
Jim
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Nice introductory article, Andy! Can't wait for the rest of the series.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
99zardoz
99zardoz
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)

Thanks for the article - I look forward to the next ones.

I try and use SSIS for any new ETL functionality we need, but as for having the time to migrate our hundreds of old DTS packages, forget it. Whatever Microsoft want, DTS will still linger on for a few years yet it many organisations I think.
kwoznica
kwoznica
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)

Andy,

Great article and I am looking forward to the rest of the series. I am just starting to learn SSIS as my company is looking for faster ways to view data. I am hoping to run SSIS packages which reads data and dumps it into an excel file which can be viewed by managers.
We are finding reports from our ERP to be very slow and the time it takes to run queries which produce the same data is 10 times faster.

I just have a couple of questions for you. You mention C# as a scripting tool in conjunction with SSIS. How important is it to know C# for SSIS and what shortcomings do you face without it?

Is it difficult to take queries I have successfully run and transport them into an ssis package to be run as a job?

Thanks for the article and your reply.
Read It
Read It
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

jberg-604007 (2/17/2011)
Hi Andy,
Any chance that you can move your articles out of the future and into the present? The first article has a posting date of 2011/03/30 and this is only 2011/02/18. Thanks for articles and allowing us to go back to the future to read them!
Jim

I had the same initial thought. I thought. But my take was, FINISH THE SERIES NOW!!! w00t Great article to start off the series.
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Good article Andy, I look forward to reading the rest of the series..

CEWII
vsolomon
vsolomon
Old Hand
Old Hand (362 reputation)Old Hand (362 reputation)Old Hand (362 reputation)Old Hand (362 reputation)Old Hand (362 reputation)Old Hand (362 reputation)Old Hand (362 reputation)Old Hand (362 reputation)

Thank you! I Look forward to Step2 and beyond. I work at a place that provides very little technical training, so this type of article is invaluable.
Dave-739983
Dave-739983
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Love your work Andy... look forward to reading the subsiquent articles.

Does anyone know if anything similar has been done for Analysis Services... "now there is one puppy I have trouble understanding."

Dave
Meet George Jetson
Meet George Jetson
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Thanks Andy, I am looking forward to the next step in the series.

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
Elroy: Nope.
George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.