SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Calling SQL Server With A BlackBerry Phone

Calling SQL Server With A BlackBerry Phone

Author
Glen Cooper
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Calling SQL Server With A BlackBerry Phone

R Glen Cooper
Satnam Singh
Satnam Singh
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)

Something innovative and out of the box thinking, appreciated.

Satnam
James A Skipwith
James A Skipwith
Old Hand
Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)

Glen,

Nice article for a home solution. In most corporate environments however, xp_cmdshell calls will not be allowed - certainly not in mine! - however you could easily replace the calls to this with a CLR stored procedure which encapsulates the same logic, so it would still be viable.

An enjoyable read.

Cheers, James

James
MCM [@TheSQLPimp]
jr81
jr81
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)

Great Article, I never imagined this kind of use for SQL Server...
cecedeki
cecedeki
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Great article,

New and fun stuff to read, maybe even try and implement too.

Thanks,
Dejan
alen teplitsky
alen teplitsky
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

cool, but it's a lot easier done with iphones and android phones. and without the need to keep your home computer on 24/7
Glen Cooper
Glen Cooper
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)

Good idea - thanks for that.

R Glen Cooper
grovelli-262555
grovelli-262555
Old Hand
Old Hand (387 reputation)Old Hand (387 reputation)Old Hand (387 reputation)Old Hand (387 reputation)Old Hand (387 reputation)Old Hand (387 reputation)Old Hand (387 reputation)Old Hand (387 reputation)

I see James mentioned a CLR stored procedure, what is it?
I've also tried to follow the instructions in the article to access the C:\BlackBerry folder on my pc so I looked up my pc's IP address by typing "ipconfig" in the DOS command window and then entering
http://10.10.137.152/blackberry/blackberry.asp?helpLevel=0
in the blackberry browser but I get HTTP Error 404: Not Found
James A Skipwith
James A Skipwith
Old Hand
Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)Old Hand (376 reputation)

@grovelli-262555 A CLR Stored Procedure is a Visual Studio.Net assembly that can be included into a SQL Server 2005+ database and its methods used as stored procedures, functions, and triggers. It is in effect a replacement for extended stored procedures, as it allows the database to call external code but in a tightly managed architecture. So if you had the need to do say file access, very complex maths or string manipulation for example, you could write the code in C# or VB.Net and call this as a stored procedure. Obviously you should only use these when they are appropriate but they are very useful in certain situations.

This is a good starting point if you want to read up on these: http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2008/10/19/sql-server-introduction-to-clr-simple-example-of-clr-stored-procedure/

James

James
MCM [@TheSQLPimp]
Glen Cooper
Glen Cooper
SSC Veteran

Hi grovelli-262555,

Can the blackberry directory on your desktop be reached over the Web?

I don't know your setup, but your router must re-direct port 1433 to whatever machine is hosting the asp page.

R Glen Cooper
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.