SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Add User Mapping not working

Add User Mapping not working

Author
Ray Cacciatore
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm trying to add a user mapping to an already existing login. In the Login Properties for the login, I need to add another database, so I check it and enter the User and Default Schema. When I click OK, it gives me an error 15023 saying that the user already exists. It's supposed to already exist, I'm just adding a User Mapping to this login. Help?
SKYBVI
SKYBVI
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

does the user is already added in the particular db??
Greg Charles
Greg Charles
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

User mapping in the GUI attempts to create the user in the database you're trying to map to, thus the error you got.

Use sp_change_users_login to remap the existing database user to the existing login.

example: sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'username', 'loginname'

Greg
SKYBVI
SKYBVI
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

I think some users got orphan.

exec sp_change_users_login 'REPORT'
--( run in every database to see which all logins got orphan)

Regards,
Sushant
Ray Cacciatore
Ray Cacciatore
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)

Thanks guys, that did the trick...
dineshvishe
dineshvishe
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (534 reputation)

if there is login exist then delete and add login to corresponding user.
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Hello,

sp_change_users_login will update the users, why do have to delete and update for each DB.

Note this is a old thread.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
dineshvishe3
dineshvishe3
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)

go Database name => security =>users then delete the user.
Add new user..
Any Problem .Let me know.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.