SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Common table expressions and circular references

Common table expressions and circular references

Author
majorbloodnock
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Common table expressions and circular references

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Peter.Frissen
Peter.Frissen
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

Hi, Cool stuff this CTE, but I have a question about the example.

Suppose I want to return not only the leaf-to-parent relation, but also any subparent-to-parent? For example, b -> c (level 0), b -> d (level 1) and c -> d (level 0)?

Thanks in advance!
serg-52
serg-52
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

WITH GroupMembers (Bottom, Child, ParentGroup, Level, hierarchypath)
AS
(
-- Anchor member definition
SELECT g.child as Bottom, g.child, g.parent, 0 AS Level, convert(varchar(max), g.child + '->' + g.parent) AS hierarchypath
FROM childrenandparents AS g
WHERE child not in (select parent from childrenandparents)
UNION ALL
-- Recursive member definition
SELECT gm.bottom, g.child, g.parent, Level + 1, hierarchypath + '->' + g.parent
FROM childrenandparents as g
INNER JOIN GroupMembers AS gm
ON gm.parentgroup = g.child
where hierarchypath not like '%'+g.child +'->' + g.parent + '%'
)

select bottom, parentgroup, level, hierarchypath
from groupmembers
where hierarchypath like '%'+parentgroup + '->' + '%'
order by level desc
option(maxrecursion 100);

will select just cycles. Needn't to calculate 'correct' max level beforehand.

e b 3 e->b->c->d->b
a b 3 a->b->c->d->b
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
SSCommitted

CELKO (1/31/2011)
Nice piece! Now let's go one step further. How do you write constraints to prevent cycles (and orphans) in an adjacency list model?

The best I have done for the adjacency list in a TRIGGER with a loop which is what your recursive CTE is, under the covers. But the loop does not have a built-in limit of 32.

Now, there's a question. The short answer is that I haven't. I know I've just written a technical article about CTEs, but I'm by no means an expert yet.

In fact, one of the biggest issues I have with hierarchal data is that most of the parent/child querying we do in my company is on data outside the control of the DBAs - most frequently group memberships in Active Directory. Indeed, in one or two cases, such a cyclic relationship has actually been valid. To my mind, no matter how difficult it may be to identify circular references in SQL, it pales into insignificance with the problem of "deciding" whether a particular instance should or should not be allowed.

I know it's a bit of a side-step answer, but I'd be tempted to throw this decision back towards the application. If it really had to be done at database level, I haven't yet come up with a better solution than what you've outlined.

majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
SSCommitted

Peter.Frissen (1/31/2011)
Hi, Cool stuff this CTE, but I have a question about the example.

Suppose I want to return not only the leaf-to-parent relation, but also any subparent-to-parent? For example, b -> c (level 0), b -> d (level 1) and c -> d (level 0)?

Thanks in advance!

I think I understand your question, but apologies if not.

My example CTE starts off with ultimate children (records existing in the "child" column, but not in the "parent" column) and then wanders up the hierarchal tree. You could just as easily work the other way around (select all "parent" records which don't exist in the "child" column) and wander down the tree. In your case, it might even be worth starting off with all "parent" records irrespective of whether they're children or not. It'll increase the size of your CTE, but will allow you to see inherited relationships between parents and children within the middle of the hierarchal tree.

Hope that helps

majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
SSCommitted

gerg-520419 (1/31/2011)

WITH GroupMembers (Bottom, Child, ParentGroup, Level, hierarchypath)
AS
(
-- Anchor member definition
SELECT g.child as Bottom, g.child, g.parent, 0 AS Level, convert(varchar(max), g.child + '->' + g.parent) AS hierarchypath
FROM childrenandparents AS g
WHERE child not in (select parent from childrenandparents)
UNION ALL
-- Recursive member definition
SELECT gm.bottom, g.child, g.parent, Level + 1, hierarchypath + '->' + g.parent
FROM childrenandparents as g
INNER JOIN GroupMembers AS gm
ON gm.parentgroup = g.child
where hierarchypath not like '%'+g.child +'->' + g.parent + '%'
)

select bottom, parentgroup, level, hierarchypath
from groupmembers
where hierarchypath like '%'+parentgroup + '->' + '%'
order by level desc
option(maxrecursion 100);

will select just cycles. Needn't to calculate 'correct' max level beforehand.

e b 3 e->b->c->d->b
a b 3 a->b->c->d->b

Agreed.

I expect there are several other areas too where my CTEs could be tidied up; indeed, I'd be rather surprised if there weren't....

James Stephens
James Stephens
Valued Member
Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)

Hi,
Great article. On the same general topic but stepping back to the part about getting the AD data into tables:

It's 2011. Why the heck doesn't Microsoft store AD information in a true relational db to begin with?

--Jim
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

Group: Administrators
AD is a distributed database of sorts. I think it was built by a separate team, and optimized for a different purpose. Just like I'm not sure mail belongs in a RDBMS, not sure that directories should be.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
SSCommitted

Perhaps more pertinent in criticising AD is its accessibility. ADSI and LDAP are technically effective, but hardly user-friendly.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.