SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Count Distinct

Count Distinct

Author
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Count Distinct

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

Nice question, but a hard one.
I spent quite some time looking at the query to find some hidden error.
But apparently there wasn't any :-)

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

I get it right because of excluding the wrong choices.

I run on tuttopodismo
sharath.chalamgari
sharath.chalamgari
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Nice Question,needs little bit time to go through the Query
Mayank Parmar
Mayank Parmar
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)

I was sure that "we can Aggregate by columns not included in the SELECT", but I wasn't aware of that use of DISTINCT in Aggregate function, so I had to experiment the same on my own database.

Great Question, really learned something new.

Regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mayank Parmar
Software Engineer

Clarion Technologies
SEI CMMI Level 3 Company

8th Floor, 803, GNFC info Tower,
SG Highway, Ahmedabad - 380 054,
Gujarat, India.
www.clariontechnologies.co.in

Email: mayank.parmar@clariontechnologies.co.in
MSN : mayank.parmar@clariontechnologies.co.in
Mobile: +91 9727748789
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cengland0
cengland0
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Carlo Romagnano (1/21/2011)
I get it right because of excluding the wrong choices.

Exactly how I did it too.
rollec2k5
rollec2k5
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)

I was not aware about, that you can use Columns in a having Clause without having the Column in the SELCET.

However, a nice one.

Greetings
R2d2
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

I have never thought of using count and count distinct in a having clause the way you do. Brilliant. Thanks.
John Hanrahan
John Hanrahan
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I tested this. It doesn't seem to work correctly everytime. But I had never thought of using distinct in a having clause, so nice.
john.arnott
john.arnott
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

rollec2k5 (1/21/2011)
I was not aware about, that you can use Columns in a having Clause without having the Column in the SELCET.

Not exactly.... The HAVING clause can use aggregates like COUNT(), MAX(), SUM() and so on which themselves refer to other columns, but it may not directly refer to a column not in the GROUP BY clause which in turn can only use columns or non-aggregate expressions in the SELECT.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.