SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server Port Number Identifier

SQL Server Port Number Identifier

Author
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Port Number Identifier

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Looks good. Thanks for posting the script.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

tskelley
tskelley
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (197 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (197 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (197 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (197 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (197 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (197 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (197 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (197 reputation)

Loved the script, as we come across all types of environments and frequently need the extra info.

I added a slight tweak to include SQL Version as part of the output:

-- Show instance, SQL version, and port number for SQL 2000/2005/2008/2008R2 Version

set nocount on
go
DECLARE @SqlPort Nvarchar(10)
DECLARE @instance_name Nvarchar(30)
DECLARE @reg_key Nvarchar(500)
DECLARE @value_name Nvarchar(20)
DECLARE @ProductVersion Nvarchar(10)

-- Scan for SQL 2008R2
if left(CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')AS sysname),5) = '10.50'
BEGIN

select @ProductVersion = '2008R2'
select @instance_name = CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('instancename')AS sysname)

if @instance_name is NULL
BEGIN
set @reg_key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\AdminConnection\Tcp'
--END
--ELSE BEGIN
--set @reg_key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\' + @instance_name + '\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp'
END

EXEC master..xp_regread @rootkey='HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',
@key=@reg_key, @value_name='TcpDynamicPorts',
@value=@SqlPort output

select CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('ServerName')AS sysname) as ServerName, @ProductVersion as SQLVersion, @SqlPort as Port

END

-- Scan for SQL 2008
if left(CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')AS sysname),5) = '10.0.'
BEGIN

select @ProductVersion = '2008'

BEGIN
set @reg_key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\AdminConnection\Tcp'
--END
--ELSE BEGIN
--set @reg_key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\' + @instance_name + '\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp'
END

@key=@reg_key, @value_name='TcpDynamicPorts',
@value=@SqlPort output

select CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('ServerName')AS sysname) as ServerName, @ProductVersion as SQLVersion, @SqlPort as Port

END

-- Scan for SQL 2005
if left(CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')AS sysname),1) = '9'
BEGIN

select @ProductVersion = '2005'

BEGIN
set @reg_key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQlServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp'
END
ELSE BEGIN
set @reg_key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\' + @instance_name + '\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp'
END

@key=@reg_key, @value_name='TcpPort',
@value=@SqlPort output

END

-- Scan for SQL 2000
if left(CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')AS sysname),1) = '8'
BEGIN

select @ProductVersion = '2000'
Create table #Port_2000 (value nvarchar(20),Data nVarchar(10))
insert into #Port_2000 exec master..xp_instance_regread 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\Supersocketnetlib\tcp', 'tcpPort'
select @SqlPort = Data from #Port_2000
drop table #Port_2000

END

Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Nice addition :-) My original version had SQL server version but I collect that information with another script so I removed it.

Glad to see that other find the code useful.

Rudy

Derrick Smith
Derrick Smith
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Doesn't seem to work on clustered instances..at least not the 3 I tried. Sad

Very handy in any case though for all non-clustered servers. Going to get much use out of this.
Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries

The code will not work on a cluster unless you run it from the node(s) and not from the virtual SQL server.

Give it a try and let us know.

Rudy

Thordog
Thordog
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)

Rudy Panigas (1/21/2011)
The code will not work on a cluster unless you run it from the node(s) and not from the virtual SQL server.

Rudy

Rudy, it seemed to work for me against my SQL 2000 cluster virtual... Maybe it doesn't work against newer versions?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Remember as you walk down lifes road, don't forget to stop and pee on the bushes - Thordog

anand13685
anand13685
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

If you have access to SQL server error logs...which any DBA would....just check the time when the SQL server was last started, and in the startup parameters, it gives the port that the instance is listening on.
or open sql server configuration manager, and click on the tcp properties where you can set the port on which SQL should listen.
Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries

Thordog (1/21/2011)
Rudy Panigas (1/21/2011)

Rudy

Rudy, it seemed to work for me against my SQL 2000 cluster virtual... Maybe it doesn't work against newer versions?

Glad it worked.

Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
Ten Centuries

anand13685 (2/16/2011)
If you have access to SQL server error logs...which any DBA would....just check the time when the SQL server was last started, and in the startup parameters, it gives the port that the instance is listening on.
or open sql server configuration manager, and click on the tcp properties where you can set the port on which SQL should listen.

Good point. I was doing that before and thought that there must be an easier way. So I worked on some T-SQL code and that's how this code was created.

Thanks

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.