SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

An Introduction to Database Design

An Introduction to Database Design

Author
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item An Introduction to Database Design

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Satnam Singh
Satnam Singh
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Excellent article paul.Couldn't ask much better than this.
Great work done.
Satnam
Evil Kraig F
Evil Kraig F
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

Very nice Paul. A good primer for the millions of simple database conversions out there.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Nakul Vachhrajani
Nakul Vachhrajani
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Hats off to you, Paul! Excellent article. Very beautifully explained via the use of a nice, gripping story that evolves itself into shape.

Thank-you!

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
Kelsey Thornton
Kelsey Thornton
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)

Brilliant article!
Well explained - I think even a DB novice would be able to understand this.

I wish I could have given more stars Smile

Kelsey Thornton
MBCS CITP
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Excellent article!
It really explains the basics of database design in a fun, not-too-technical manner.

Great job!

And it's been a long time since I've seen Alice and Bob :-)
(I guess the last time was when Trudy tried to hack into Bobs email account while impersonating Alice)

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Anil Maharjan
Anil  Maharjan
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)

Hey Paul,

I couldn't stop myself to say that your article was great and nicely present even a layman can understand what you trying to describe through your post.

It just like reading some story about the SQL man.

Good work keep it up..!!!

Thanks,
Anil Maharjan
Brad Allison
Brad Allison
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (981 reputation)SSC Eights! (981 reputation)SSC Eights! (981 reputation)SSC Eights! (981 reputation)SSC Eights! (981 reputation)SSC Eights! (981 reputation)SSC Eights! (981 reputation)SSC Eights! (981 reputation)

Paul, thanks for this article and very needed for me at this time as I have an intern who is learning about SQL Server database design. I quickly printed your article out for him to read today and we can discuss later.

Brad
gloewen-1069636
gloewen-1069636
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Great article. I plan on sharing this with a few of my co-workers who are being pushed to learn SQL, yet don't understand DBs.
mike_walsh
mike_walsh
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)

This is quite possibly one of the best technical articles for a wide audience that I have read in a long time, Paul. To anyone who is already well acquainted with database design, there won't be much new here but that isn't the target audience, is it? I really like how the story was used and how concepts were built upon each other in manageable chunks to get to the final point.

I haven't rated an article in long while but had to stop to log in and rate this one. Anytime I need to explain any of the concepts of normalization or explain database design to a business person, I'll be including this article as a reference.

While the database design aspect of this article may have been a review, I did learn something here - a great method for teaching and writing.

Mike Walsh
SQL Server DBA
Blog - www.straightpathsql.com/blog |Twitter
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.