SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Swap columns

Swap columns

Author
Nakul Vachhrajani
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Swap columns

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
nicko5
nicko5
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)

The execution of update statements are not evaluated left to right but as a batch after computations are complete which allows for them to be swapped.
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

I do not see a value for 2 points. It's only a simple swap. It behaves the same in any sqlserver release.

DECLARE @MyTable TABLE (Col1 INT,
Col2 INT)

-- Col1 Col2
INSERT INTO @MyTable VALUES (1, 2)
INSERT INTO @MyTable VALUES (3, 4)

UPDATE @MyTable SET Col1 = Col2, Col2 = Col1

SELECT Col1, Col2 FROM @MyTable

Try this for fun:
DECLARE @MyTable TABLE (Col1 INT,
Col2 INT
,Col3 INT)
DECLARE @i INT
-- Col1 Col2
INSERT INTO @MyTable(Col1,Col2) VALUES (1, 2)
INSERT INTO @MyTable(Col1,Col2) VALUES (3, 4)
SET @i = 0
UPDATE @MyTable SET
@i = @i + Col1
, Col1 = Col2
, Col2 = Col1
, Col3 = @i

SELECT Col1, Col2, Col3 FROM @MyTable

I run on tuttopodismo
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

Nice question, but I hope I will never need to swap data between two columns.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
jts2013
jts2013
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

Nice Question - it's worth understanding this before you write UPDATE statements that you would expect to work in a procedural language, where the value of col1 would be overwritten by col2, meaning you couldn't then update col2 to the value of what col1 was before.
And yes, you do sometimes need to swap values between columns, or at least recalculate a column based on one or more other columns - usually when something has gone wrong!;-)
Nakul Vachhrajani
Nakul Vachhrajani
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

jts_2003 (12/30/2010)

usually when something has gone wrong!;-)

Exactly - as a matter of fact, that's when this question was thought of.

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

jts_2003 (12/30/2010)
...usually when something has gone wrong!;-)

That's why I hope I will never need to use it ;-)

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)

Interesting question. Hopefully I will never need to swap columns. :-)
Rose Bud
Rose Bud
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

jts_2003 (12/30/2010)
Nice Question - it's worth understanding this before you write UPDATE statements that you would expect to work...

Definitely worthwhile. I did not know an update would work that way. Carlo's example provides further intrigue.
sknox
sknox
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

This is how it should happen in any version of SQL server or any SQL database system. This is because SQL is declarative, not procedural. The difference is in the declarative, you're saying "put what's in column 1 into column 2 and what's in column 2 into column 1", whereas in the procedural you'd say "put what's in column 1 into column 2 and then what's in column 2 into column 1". A very tiny difference, but what a difference!

As for Carlos' example with a variable, that's an example of a quirky update, which I first learned of from here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/68467/ (which references http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/robyn-pages-sql-server-cursor-workbench/, which appears to be the original source of the term.)

Suffice to say it's a side-effect of the way Microsoft implemented a declarative language (SQL) within a procedural system (x86 software) -- one which works (when programmed meticulously under very specific circumstances), but isn't supported or guaranteed to continue to work in future iterations.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.