Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SELECT TOP

SELECT TOP

Author
ronmoses
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
For educational purposes, I would genuinely appreciate it if one of the folks who take issue with the "most of the time" factor could illustrate a scenario in which that script returns different results.

Thanks!
Ron

-----
a haiku...

NULL is not zero
NULL is not an empty string
NULL is the unknown

sjimmo
sjimmo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Good question - but, I think the answers and explanation are lacking.

The order of the clustered index is based upon the columns which make up the clustered index. (Change the field on the index to see this work.) The order is also based upon the collation of the database as well (simple enough to test, but add more data for a real test). Thus the TOP record returned is determined by these factors.

Thus, without any other definition of the collation, I would have to agree with those calling for an It depends answer.

Some good information can bee seen at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917672.aspx

Additional reading: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177443.aspx
or http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/Clustered-and-non-clustered-indexes-in-SQL-Server

There are many other references out there as well.

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Rich Mechaber
Rich Mechaber
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

I also got it right but don't like the available answers.

If MS and T-SQL experts emphasize that the only reliable way to return a result set in a specified order is for the last (i.e., outer) SELECT to include an ORDER BY clause, why would we want to have a question like this?

I like a straightforward QoD that teaches one idea. Unfortunately, this one teaches the wrong idea.

Rich
Abi Chapagai
Abi Chapagai
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Thank you for the good question.
pavanr
pavanr
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)

I agree that without an ORDER BY clause, the returned result has no meaning.
but can anyone explain, here in the case of Clustered Index, why it picks third record ?
Does this depend on Order of Insertion ie., Identity values ?
Surii
Surii
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)

Nice question. If there was an extra option "It Depends", i would have selected this option as the correct answer.
Mike Dougherty-384281
Mike Dougherty-384281
Old Hand
Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)

ronmoses (12/21/2010)
For educational purposes, I would genuinely appreciate it if one of the folks who take issue with the "most of the time" factor could illustrate a scenario in which that script returns different results.

I read through all the comments to be sure the "order by" was already.. noted. (as if there would be anything for me to add after the first 10 posts)

I don't have time to make a reproducible illustration but wanted to throw in these two cents: With large data sets and parallelization you can get apparently unordered results even with the clustered index in effect due to the merge step simply combining multiple streams. Without an explicit order by clause, you get the unsorted merged streams. I discovered this trying to remove the cost of the order by under the erroneous assumption that the clustered index made the order by unnecessary. No, it's very necessary.
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

Mike Dougherty-384281 (12/21/2010)
ronmoses (12/21/2010)

I read through all the comments to be sure the "order by" was already.. noted. (as if there would be anything for me to add after the first 10 posts)

I don't have time to make a reproducible illustration but wanted to throw in these two cents: With large data sets and parallelization you can get apparently unordered results even with the clustered index in effect due to the merge step simply combining multiple streams. Without an explicit order by clause, you get the unsorted merged streams. I discovered this trying to remove the cost of the order by under the erroneous assumption that the clustered index made the order by unnecessary. No, it's very necessary.

So which was better performance wise? maxdop 1 or 0?

Yes I know the results are wrong without the order by!
SanDroid
SanDroid
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Good Question... I agree that not having an order by statement can cause the output to change. I also agree that the clustered index created in the script also had this affect.

I also agree that this table schema would need a re-write for a production transactional database project. Thier are several articles in BOL and other places that would point that out.

1. A table identity column should be part of the primary key for the table.
2. If a table has a clustered index, it should include the primary key.
Dietmar Weickert
Dietmar Weickert
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

BOL (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189463.aspx) states clearly
If the query has no ORDER BY clause, the order of the rows is arbitrary.
hence putting "Ann" as the correct answer is simply wrong.

Nevertheless, using TOP without an ORDER BY clause may definitely be useful: I like to use it to see just a sample row of a table not well known to me...;-)

Best regards,
Dietmar Weickert.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.