SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

T-sql

T-sql

Author
Abi Chapagai
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I agree that this questions been asked many times, but it is good to have this kind of generic question because there will be new members who want to learn every little piece of SQL Server. Good question.
sjimmo
sjimmo
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Rahul The Dba

Welcome to the forum. Good question. Many will complain about simplicity or the number of times that this type of question has been asked, but it is also good to refresh on even the simplest of things.

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Nice simple question.

The wrong answer rate suggests that even something as straightforward as this has some instructional value.

Tom

SanDroid
SanDroid
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

DougieCow (12/17/2010)
Toreador (12/17/2010)
How many times do we have to have questions about the default precision of strings before everyone gets them right?!

Never, there will always be somebody new.

I agree Dougie.
Also, if you have submitted a question you know that as long as it takes for one to be published there is a high chance that someone else will post something covering the same topic.

As far as the answers go, I almost selected the 'HI YO' answer cause I thought it was funny.

Thanks for the easy point on a friday and some giggle factor in the answers.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

Tom.Thomson (12/17/2010)
Nice simple question.

The wrong answer rate suggests that even something as straightforward as this has some instructional value.

I agree. Maybe it should be asked several more times.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Rahul The Dba
Rahul The Dba
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR POSTS.....:-)

Rahul:-P
Rich Mechaber
Rich Mechaber
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

The only reason I got this right is that there was a QoD some weeks back that had a default data length as part of the question. I got that one wrong.

I was taught to never rely on defaults for things like declaring variables, so out-of-sight, out-of-mind. I'd quite forgotten they existed.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know I learned something from that earlier QoD!
Rich
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

Thanks for the question!

I'm still surprised by 9% of the people getting it wrong, so I guess it doesn't hurt to go over the same thing multiple times.
Dhruvesh Shah
Dhruvesh Shah
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (801 reputation)SSC Eights! (801 reputation)SSC Eights! (801 reputation)SSC Eights! (801 reputation)SSC Eights! (801 reputation)SSC Eights! (801 reputation)SSC Eights! (801 reputation)SSC Eights! (801 reputation)

Simple one. 15% wrong answers are there b'cos few of them just select what ever they want to without even looking at question
Christian Buettner-167247
Christian Buettner-167247
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

I like the question, mostly because it focuses on one aspect only - the default size.
Too many times there are complicated questions which mix the question itself with ostacles and obfuscations. I then prefer repeated questions over complicated questions.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.