Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Create trace problem

Create trace problem

Author
ramadesai108
Old Hand
Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am trying to create a trace using the following where @outputfilename is "\\mycomputer\mysharedfolder\tracefilename"

exec @rc = sp_trace_create @TraceID output, 0, @OutputFileName, @MaxFileSize, @EndTime

The problem is that it does not create the file in that location and yet the trace is running on the serve

I have given full permission to "everyone" on that folder.

If I create a file named "tracefilename.trc" manually and then run the trace, it gives me a message that the file already exists.

Any ideas???

Thanks.
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Sounds like you already have a trace running that's outputting to your desired filename.

What are the results of: select * from sys.traces

GSquared
GSquared
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Did you remember to turn the trace on? sp_trace_setstatus needs to be run to turn it on. Till you do that, it won't create any files.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
ramadesai108
ramadesai108
Old Hand
Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)

The trace is running but it does not create the file.
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

When you run this: select * from sys.traces
What is in "path" ?

ramadesai108
ramadesai108
Old Hand

It is working and it is now creating the files. I have not made any changes since yesterday and this morning it is working and i have no clue why. But now when I try to open the trace file it gives me a message "There was a problem sending the command to the program". It is trying to open the file thru ATL/MFC Trace Tool. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCrazy

I'm not familiar with that tool. I use SQL profiler to open the .trc file

ramadesai108
ramadesai108
Old Hand

Thanks.
allamiro
allamiro
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

Can you please post the script I want to see a sample so I can modify the file size
jasonwi1202
jasonwi1202
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

You can try stopping and closing the trace. Then try again. I am not sure what your whole trace setup looks like, but you need to add events, columns, filters, etc. Here is an article that goes into the basics of tracing with SQL commands:

SQL Performance Trace

Microsoft's articles are really good as well.

Jason

Webmaster at SQL Optimizations School
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.