SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How Do You Work When You are Not at Work?

How Do You Work When You are Not at Work?

Author
Pierre Knop
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all

In our company we take turns to be on support, we generally have 3 x support phones, one on each network, and we get notified via sms depending on what is down. We do check each system where applicable by using the phones ussd short cuts, for some of our applications and in general, it is just to monitor the system. Each system will restart itself in the event of a connectio issue and sometimes we need to restart a specific tasks/job via dial up connection using VPN.

The support rota works nice as you end up learning more about everyone else’s jobs as well, and you do not have to be on duty 24/7, only once every other week. And in general you could plan ahead when going away or so.

Groete
Pierré
streethk
streethk
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Most of the databases I administer run well without much intervention. Typically when there is an issue I am called on my cell and I RDP via a VPN portal into either my desktop PC or directly to the SQL server and resolve the issue.
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

The only time I was called on, I had to spend 2 hours on my cell phone.
ahperez
ahperez
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)

Usually someone calls me. Most of the time I can use the remote desktop, very occasionally I have to drive in(14 miles if I'm in town.) If a PC is handy, I prefer that. I can remote access on my android, but it is annoying to scroll around the screen to find things.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Group: Administrators
For me, email is really the way I hear about things. I have a smartphone, iPad, and multiple machines. On one of those, I'll get a note. It could be a phone call, but that's rare.

From there I might call or forward the notice to someone else, or possibly connect with VPN. I might even call and be remote hands for someone if that's quicker.

Getting work when you aren't at work is a reality, but it doesn't have to mean you work 40+ hours and then respond to things. I would definitely set boundaries and push back to get time back, and better balance in your life.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
mbricker-600840
mbricker-600840
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Usually I'll get a system or operator generated email and/or page. I'll connect using desptop or laptop VPN/RDP connection to my work desktop or directly to server. Have talked somebody through something once or twice. Have never had to drive into office to take care of an issue. Have reinstalled SQL Server a couple of time remotely with no problems.

Mike

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”...Robert McCloskey

SSChasing Mays (646 reputation)SSChasing Mays (646 reputation)SSChasing Mays (646 reputation)SSChasing Mays (646 reputation)SSChasing Mays (646 reputation)SSChasing Mays (646 reputation)SSChasing Mays (646 reputation)SSChasing Mays (646 reputation)

In case you might like an free iPad to help remotely monitor your SQL Servers, 30 iPads are being given away by three DBAs, along with 30 free licenses to Red Gate's SQL Monitor. Check out these links:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Editorial/71830/
http://scarydba.com/
http://www.brentozar.com/

Hurry to enter to win one of these iPads, as the contest ends this Friday. I wish I could enter the contest, but I am not eligible. Sad

Brad M. McGehee
DBA
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

when you are away from work and a database-related problem occurs, how are you generally notified?

First notification is via email. Then it progresses to phone calls if the email is not noticed.

Secondly, once you’ve been alerted, how do you generally connect to your servers to see what is going on? Do you use a smartphone, a tablet computer, a netbook/laptop/desktop computer?

I connect via VPN from laptop.

And third, how often can you typically resolve the problem remotely, and how often do you still have to come into the office to fix things?

90% of the time it can be fixed remotely.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Bob Vipond
Bob Vipond
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Fortunately I haven't had to respond after hours to a SQL emergency. I have email messages sent when SQL Agent jobs go wrong. Its nice that I don't have to carry a pager or work phone anymore!

If I do need to work after hours I can login from home using a VPN connection to my computer back at work. I can then operate as if I were at my desk.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.