Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

sys.syscomments

sys.syscomments

Author
Christian Buettner-167247
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Ok, I think I finally arrived.
I thought the "comments" were the standalone extended properties / description of the stored procedures, constraints etc..
I did not consider the inline comments of the object definition (I actually considered these comments as object definition as well).

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
anders-731262
anders-731262
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)

Can someone please explain why "All of the above" is wrong?
Does comments refer to something other than inline comments ("--"'s and "/**/"'s)?
Rune Bivrin
Rune Bivrin
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

This is not a particularly very well designed question. What is a comment and what is the definition? I would say the comments inside an object are part of the definition.

There are of course the extended properties which are not in syscomments, but I've never come across anyone who calls that comments.

Just because you're right doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.
abdul.rahman
abdul.rahman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Yeah "All the Above" is the correct answer. I think the author is confused with the option.
Toreador
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

The first and third answers are definitely correct (the first being a subset of the third), so I went for 'all of the above'. A good question, spoiled slightly by the choice of answers.
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

Toreador (12/1/2010)
The first and third answers are definitely correct (the first being a subset of the third), so I went for 'all of the above'. A good question, spoiled slightly by the choice of answers.

Ditto here.

#2 is not 100% clear and leaves a little too much room for interpretation. But since 1 and 3 are definitely right, the only possible answer had to be all of the above.
Hardy21
Hardy21
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Ninja's_RGR'us (12/1/2010)
Toreador (12/1/2010)

Ditto here.

#2 is not 100% clear and leaves a little too much room for interpretation. But since 1 and 3 are definitely right, the only possible answer had to be all of the above.

Author wants to confuse by using word "Comments". "All of the above" is right if we consider inline comments in the proc or other db objects.

Thanks
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

Hardy21 (12/1/2010)
Ninja's_RGR'us (12/1/2010)
Toreador (12/1/2010)

Ditto here.

Author wants to confuse by using word "Comments". "All of the above" is right if we consider inline comments in the proc or other db objects.

That's what I meant by interpretation. I, like at least another posted considered the meta data comments that we can put in the columns of the "edit table" gui. That's the only way #2 could be false. But it seemed too far fetched so I chose all of the above as #1 couldn't be false.
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane

Moreover, there's no mention of functions in the explanation or the answers. Those definitions are also available in syscomments.

So I guess that none of the above is also a good option even if #1 is definitely correct if no thorough Hehe
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Christian Buettner-167247 (12/1/2010)
Nils Gustav Stråbø (12/1/2010)
Both the definition and the comments can be retrieved from sys.syscomments view

Are you sure about that? I can't see any comments in that view.
With regards to option 1, I agree that this is not an invalid option. But #3 is the "precicest" option.

If you can't see any comments in that view, you have no comments in any of your stored procedures, triggers, views etcetera - appalling coding practise - but in any case the view does include all none of them, so the correct answer is still "all of the above".
The bad English combined with the wrong answer and the use of a deprecated sql 2000 compatibility view instead os sys.sql_modules make it a pretty awful question.

Tom

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.