SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

UDF_GetGMTOffset

UDF_GetGMTOffset

Author
~Alex
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item UDF_GetGMTOffset
steve.casey
steve.casey
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)

I see that you've defined @GMTOffset as an integer variable.

What happens if you're in Adelaide? Or Darwin? Or Caracas?
~Alex
~Alex
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)

steve.casey (11/26/2010)
I see that you've defined @GMTOffset as an integer variable.

What happens if you're in Adelaide? Or Darwin? Or Caracas?

Better use a TRY/CATCH block! :-P

That's an excellent point - I didn't even considered that when I hastily wrote the script for a project that is only used in the USA.

Although, you could easily modify it to return a real or float if there's a possibility that your deployment might include a time zone that would return an offset requiring additional precision (e.g. Newfoundland, Canada in North America).
steve.casey
steve.casey
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (173 reputation)

Better, I think, to stick to returning an offset that is an integer, but one that is in minutes rather than hours.

As I understand it, that's the real way that the international system works. This is a subject that I've had to learn entirely too much about...

And yes, apart from the places I listed, Newfoundland is the only other example that I can find!

Although I do vaguely recall some strange examples in those US areas based around Native American reservations (but it's 1 AM here, I don't have access to my notes, the differences are probably related to Daylight Saving rules anyway and I'm too tired to do any research!).

Cheers, Steve
~Alex
~Alex
SSC Veteran

steve.casey (11/28/2010)

Better, I think, to stick to returning an offset that is an integer, but one that is in minutes rather than hours.

Good point.

Here's the modified version (finally got around to this :rolleyesSmile that simply changes the datepart of the DATEDIFF to "MINUTE" instead of "HOUR".

SET @GMTOffset = (SELECT DATEDIFF(MINUTE, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()));

And then you can easily convert the return value from minutes back to hours, but with the proper precision and scale:

SELECT dbo.udf_GetGMTOffset() AS 'GMT Offset Minutes'
,CAST(CAST(dbo.udf_GetGMTOffset() AS numeric) / 60 AS numeric(4,2)) AS 'GMT Offset Hours'

I hope this function makes working with time zone offsets easier for others.

Thanks again Steve for all of your feedback - it's much appreciated! :-)
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Thanks for the script.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.