Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

T-SQL GO statement

T-SQL GO statement

Author
mike l
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item T-SQL GO statement
Hardy21
Hardy21
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Nice command. Thanks

Thanks
Jinx-640161
Jinx-640161
Old Hand
Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)

Ha! I never knew one could do that with GO.
Thanks!
Iulian -207023
Iulian -207023
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Good point, thanks

Iulian
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

I like the point the question tried to make, namely using the GO statement as an instrument to loop, but I do not like the trickery with the # name. At first, I did not even notice the GO 100 statement, as I was focusing on the table name. So I'm confused what this question actually tried to do: teach us about GO n (mission accomplished), or about the various options for table names or was it just to trick people into choosing the wrong answer?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Manoj KN
Manoj KN
Valued Member
Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)

Nice information, thanks..
Mayank Parmar
Mayank Parmar
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)

Good Question to ask !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mayank Parmar
Software Engineer

Clarion Technologies
SEI CMMI Level 3 Company

8th Floor, 803, GNFC info Tower,
SG Highway, Ahmedabad - 380 054,
Gujarat, India.
www.clariontechnologies.co.in

Email: mayank.parmar@clariontechnologies.co.in
MSN : mayank.parmar@clariontechnologies.co.in
Mobile: +91 9727748789
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DugyC
DugyC
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

da-zero (11/23/2010)
I like the point the question tried to make, namely using the GO statement as an instrument to loop, but I do not like the trickery with the # name. At first, I did not even notice the GO 100 statement, as I was focusing on the table name. So I'm confused what this question actually tried to do: teach us about GO n (mission accomplished), or about the various options for table names or was it just to trick people into choosing the wrong answer?

Yeah, I fell down on this one as well... however, when I did actually try to run the code it didn't seem to like the "100"... I got...

(1 row(s) affected)

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 3
Line 3: Incorrect syntax near '100'.

The code is identical... I'm running this on a SQL Server 2000 box, but I don't think that matters...

Ten Centuries

Try

INSERT INTO #
SELECT 'ASDF'
GO 0

GO <ZERO> --- SQL doesn't throw any complilation error but when you execute the code, status bar should display: "Query completed with errors".

Thanks
RichardDouglas
RichardDouglas
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)

Good question, thanks for taking the time to help educate the SQL community.

Hope this helps,
Rich

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.