Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Export with Headers

Export with Headers

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
How can you export data from a query, using bcp, SQLCMD, etc. and include the column headers at the top? The export would be CSV or other delimited text file.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/18/2010)
How can you export data from a query, using bcp, SQLCMD, etc. and include the column headers at the top? The export would be CSV or other delimited text file.

Unless someone else has an absolute need to write this one, I'll be happy to take this one on. It won't include anything about SSIS, though. Might be better if that were a separate article, anyway.

Lemme know. :-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

It would be good to have an SSIS and non/SSIS version

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Since I don't actually know how to spell "SSIS", I'll take the non-SSIS version.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
gmby
gmby
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

I doubt whether a complete article is needed for SSIS. The connection managers for Excel and flat files presents a check box to determine whether you want the first row to be column names.

jg
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

For the non-SSIS version, what language are you using? Because if it's not PowerShell, I might want to do one using PowerShell.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever

Grant Fritchey (12/2/2010)
For the non-SSIS version, what language are you using? Because if it's not PowerShell, I might want to do one using PowerShell.

Steve asked for "using bcp, SQLCMD", but I think one on PowerShell should come out first. And, since I don't actually know how to spell "PowerShell", I'd be tickled to see a "Grant Fritchey" article on such a thing. I can write on something else.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
WayneS
WayneS
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

That would be quite cool!

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Jeff Moden (12/2/2010)

Steve asked for "using bcp, SQLCMD", but I think one on PowerShell should come out first. And, since I don't actually know how to spell "PowerShell", I'd be tickled to see a "Grant Fritchey" article on such a thing. I can write on something else.

Let's see what the boss says. I don't know why you couldn't do both.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

gmby (12/1/2010)
I doubt whether a complete article is needed for SSIS. The connection managers for Excel and flat files presents a check box to determine whether you want the first row to be column names.

jg

The above just means you don't know what you can do with SSIS; I have almost 1,000 lines of code using SSIS. You can turn header on and off, encapsulations on and off and delimiter agnostic using configurations.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

Be good to have one in Powershell, and while we're at it, anyone want SQLAzure?

Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/3/2010)
Be good to have one in Powershell, and while we're at it, anyone want SQLAzure?

Right, I'll do one in PowerShell, but no promises on deliver time. Jeff "Jack Rabbit" Moden should go ahead with his. I'll be along shortly.

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

No hurry on any of these.

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever

I guess that's a good thing. Grant, did you ever get yours done? I know I'm way overdue on this.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach

Jeff Moden (2/10/2013)

I guess that's a good thing. Grant, did you ever get yours done? I know I'm way overdue on this.

Forgot all about this. I'll add it to my queue.

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever

Damn. I forgot all about this. I'll get started early next week. According to what Steve asked for in his OP, I'm thinking that I might be able to pull it off as a Spackle article.

Grant, what are you going to call yours? If we do it right, Steve can run them back to back or maybe even on the same day. Be really cool to have them similarly named especially if we consider what people might look for in a Google search on the subject.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach

Jeff Moden (9/5/2013)
Damn. I forgot all about this. I'll get started early next week. According to what Steve asked for in his OP, I'm thinking that I might be able to pull it off as a Spackle article.

Grant, what are you going to call yours? If we do it right, Steve can run them back to back or maybe even on the same day. Be really cool to have them similarly named especially if we consider what people might look for in a Google search on the subject.

Ha! It's on my queue. Along with 20 other things. I'll see what I can do to bump it up. I'm easy on the title. Just say 'With X' at the end and we'll substitute PowersShell.

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

Bump

Export data from a table(view/query) with Powershell. Include headers for easy reading.

Louis Li
Louis Li
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)

Submitted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Certified Solution Master: Data Platform, Microsoft Certified Trainer
Email: Louis.Li@rrlminc.com | Blog | LinkedIn
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

Louis Li (4/7/2014)
Submitted.

Louis, I see a script from you and that's good, but I'm still looking for an article with explanation of how to do this and how it works in a little more detail.

Louis Li
Louis Li
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)

Sure, Steve.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Louis Li
Louis Li
SSC-Enthusiastic

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/8/2014)
Louis Li (4/7/2014)
Submitted.

Louis, I see a script from you and that's good, but I'm still looking for an article with explanation of how to do this and how it works in a little more detail.

Submitted, Steve.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

Thanks, I see it and I'll review it as soon as I can.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.