SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Sql instance installation on Application Server

Sql instance installation on Application Server

Author
hydbadrose
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I need urgent help please... I have to install the sql instance on one of the application (Control M) server. Do I have to uninstall all the sql related components from program and features, and reinstall the sql instance on this server? When I install the sql 2008 instance, do I have to install the client tool seperately or installer will take care of this?

The components currently on the servers are;

Microsoft SQL Server 2008
Microsoft SQL Server books online
Microsoft SQL Server native client
Microsoft SQL Server policies
Microsoft SQL Server setup support files
Microsoft SQL Server compact 3.5 sp1 English
Microsoft SQL Server compact 3.5 sp1 query tool

Please suggest as soon as possible. Thanks a bunch!
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)

If it already has SQL Server on it, are you just installing a second instance? If so, no, you don't need to reinstall tools, documentation, etc.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
murali.Jillellamudi
murali.Jillellamudi
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)

Hi
Your question is ambiguous , you said SQL 2008 is already installed , do you mean installing a new instance.

cheers
Murali
hydbadrose
hydbadrose
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)Right there with Babe (788 reputation)

Sql engine is not installed. There are no sql services such as MS sql server, or sql agent. The client tool has been installed since its an application server. So my question is do I have uninstall the client tool and install the sql 2008 instance? or install sql 2008 instance without uninstalling the client tool? if I don't uninstall is it going corrupt the binn folder?
murali.Jillellamudi
murali.Jillellamudi
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)

I would recommend to select the options to over-write all the components at the time of insallation.
so that you can have a complete seup.
The oher choice is to uninstall everything and install again.
Meet George Jetson
Meet George Jetson
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Is this a SBS you are working on?

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
Elroy: Nope.
George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.
hydbadrose
hydbadrose
Right there with Babe

Thanks!
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)

Per this, SQL isn't installed:

hydbadrose (11/18/2010)
Sql engine is not installed. There are no sql services such as MS sql server, or sql agent. The client tool has been installed since its an application server. So my question is do I have uninstall the client tool and install the sql 2008 instance? or install sql 2008 instance without uninstalling the client tool? if I don't uninstall is it going corrupt the binn folder?

Per your first post, it is:

hydbadrose (11/18/2010)
I need urgent help please ...

The components currently on the servers are;

Microsoft SQL Server 2008
Microsoft SQL Server books online
Microsoft SQL Server native client
Microsoft SQL Server policies
Microsoft SQL Server setup support files
Microsoft SQL Server compact 3.5 sp1 English
Microsoft SQL Server compact 3.5 sp1 query tool ...

In the future, you'll get better answers if your question is a bit more clear.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.