Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to Monitor for High CPU utilization in SQL Server

How to Monitor for High CPU utilization in SQL Server

Author
Geoff A
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
crazy4sql ,

the server must be over the threshold for 10 consecutive loops.
if you want to test, use something to cause your CPU to run over the threshold for at least 1 minute.
Boxer
Boxer
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Jeff Moden: Yes, we can
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Boxer (11/18/2010)
Jeff Moden: Yes, we can

Cool! I'll have to give it a try. In the meantime, someone should write an article on that! :-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
BobSaint
BobSaint
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Geoff - nice article, thanks for posting.

One thing I wanted to mention on security, if the account that SQL Agent runs with is denied access to run a command line script (CmdExec), a workaround would be to create a Proxy for CmdExec and then map an account that does have rights to run this job.

Although I have never tried this with SQL 2000, I have with 2005+ and the documentation seems to imply you can do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890775

This keeps all security concerns happy because it elevates permissions to run the command line (VBScript in your case) only for a specific job or jobs.

Overall a very resourceful solution. I've been working on a "roll my own" solution to monitor several parameters of my servers through WMI hooks for some time now - disk free%, CPU Utilization, memory, I/O, etc. Who knows when I'll ever get it completed/tested but if I do I'll be sure to share!

Cheers.
Geoff A
Geoff A
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)SSChasing Mays (614 reputation)

BobSaint,

yes, I am hard at work learning what powershell and SSRS can do.... one day, when it is all finished I will write an article on how I created this SQL Server Dashboard. (for FREE)

BobSaint
BobSaint
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Geoff - that is awesome!! Very nice presentation - and it covers all the prime touch points near and dear to the DBA at a glance. My curiosity is bristled - data cached in a local database? for how long? User-settable thresholds on all counters? User-settable sample rates? Alerts when thresholds exceeded (SQL or UI)? All hooks through WMI? Can you track other stuff like auto-grows, errors, failed authentications?

To be honest, I have yet to dabble in PS, although it seems like all the rage for scripting these days.

Again - very nice job.
Geoff A
Geoff A
SSChasing Mays

BobSaint (11/19/2010)
Geoff - that is awesome!! Very nice presentation - and it covers all the prime touch points near and dear to the DBA at a glance. My curiosity is bristled - data cached in a local database? for how long? User-settable thresholds on all counters? User-settable sample rates? Alerts when thresholds exceeded (SQL or UI)? All hooks through WMI? Can you track other stuff like auto-grows, errors, failed authentications?

To be honest, I have yet to dabble in PS, although it seems like all the rage for scripting these days.

Again - very nice job.

its a small local DB.
its all configurable.
alerts are not a part of this project.
almost all is through WMI except for user connections.

alerting I handle differently, which is another article i still owe to Steve..... (part two of this article... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Monitoring/71390/
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

I can't wait for an article on the dashboard. :-P

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
rew-370421
rew-370421
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (208 reputation)SSC Veteran (208 reputation)SSC Veteran (208 reputation)SSC Veteran (208 reputation)SSC Veteran (208 reputation)SSC Veteran (208 reputation)SSC Veteran (208 reputation)SSC Veteran (208 reputation)

editted - removed question
Kim Killian-SiteDataView
Kim Killian-SiteDataView
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)

Great article Geoff, very useful thanks for sharing!

Thanks,
Kimberly Killian
Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
www.sitedataview.com
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.