SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Creating Dynamic Outputs in SSIS to an SQL Database

Creating Dynamic Outputs in SSIS to an SQL Database

Author
dave-dj
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Creating Dynamic Outputs in SSIS to an SQL Database

SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)

Hi Dave!
A nice and clean solution, quite interesting to follow.
My only objection right now is the phrase 'FEL' in your namings, in swedish that
means 'WRONG'! :-)
Thanks,
BF
fszendzielarz
fszendzielarz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Why not just partition the table? You get parallelism too.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

A very clever solution but I think I must be missing something.

Why can't all the logic associated with sucking the data in, creating new tables if necessary and appending the new records to the relevant table all be encompassed in one T-SQL block instead of many SSIS flows / tasks?

Most of the required code would be virtually as Dave Lumley has already written it. That could then be called by SQL Agent? It could become a stored procedure but the performance gain would presumably be small if the quantity of INSERTs is high relative to the "think time" associated with coming up with an execution plan. The solution already requires the use of dynamic SQL and I can't see that can be avoided.
dave-dj
dave-dj
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Bertil Forsberg: I've learnt something new today! every day is a school day. :-)

fszendzielarz: Partitioning for me was not an option as we are only using SQL Server Standard Edition - Partitioning is an Enterprise edition feature. But also, the transaction types that I refer to in the article represent different information that ideally should have been designed as different tables within a database anyway (source is a 3rd party system).

106600.3363: Potentially, yes it could be done via T-SQL. I think you touch on a interesting point. Personally, I've used SSIS for a number of reasons:

1 - visually you can sort of see what is going on (albeit there is some slightly more hidden details, such as defining the connection string
2 - secondly, this is part a much larger project and the production package I use, contains several other package run related variables and a few additional task.
3 - SSIS offers better event handling functionality. (again some of this could be done in SQL) ...... horses for courses

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

fszendzielarz (11/10/2010)
Why not just partition the table? You get parallelism too.

Partitioned Tables are Enterprise Edition only
So the answet to why not is 10's of thousands of dollars!
dave-dj
dave-dj
SSCarpal Tunnel

Bertil Forsberg (11/10/2010)
Hi Dave!
A nice and clean solution, quite interesting to follow.
My only objection right now is the phrase 'FEL' in your namings, in swedish that
means 'WRONG'! :-)
Thanks,
BF

Also I guess if I stuck to the MS naming convention suggest then it should really be FELC - but I'm not sure what that would mean in Swedish :-)

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Oh yes. I forgot about that.

Doesn't it seem ridiculous that functionality that is already implemented is disabled for those who cannot pay for it? The irony is that MS aim to support SME and break into this sphere, so why support enterprises by denying features to smaller organisations?
Smendle
Smendle
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

I would love to see what the partitioned table solution would look like.
Mike Is Here
Mike Is Here
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Are the images not showing up for anyone else?

Even when I right click and say Show Picture nothing happens.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.