SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Sending E-Mail from SQL 2008 Express

Sending E-Mail from SQL 2008 Express

Author
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Jeff Moden (11/4/2010)
I have to ask because I just don't know... Hopefully, one of you do. Is CDONTS and sp_OA* available in SQL Server Express?

Anyone?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
clement.degroote
clement.degroote
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Thank you for answer.
I change path and permissions with a share folder with permission to everyone.
But no change : mail is sending, we receive it well but without attach file.
Other idea ?
APrisk2
APrisk2
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

It was changed to a shared path - do you mean a UNC path? Is the path to the file something like this: \\server\folder? If so, then try mapping that to a local drive and try it again.
clement.degroote
clement.degroote
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Yes, UNC path. I tried on the server and on my computer. And I tried server/computer name and with IP adress.
Same problem : mail is sending but without attach file
And there isn't any error message and I've no idea how debug this process...
APrisk2
APrisk2
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

And you verified the NTFS permissions?
clement.degroote
clement.degroote
Grasshopper

yes i did;
control total to everyone
dmbaker
dmbaker
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)

Jeff Moden (11/18/2010)
Jeff Moden (11/4/2010)
I have to ask because I just don't know... Hopefully, one of you do. Is CDONTS and sp_OA* available in SQL Server Express?

Anyone?

I'm not certain, but I don't think CDONTS will be available. Don't think it'd be part of the install of SQL Server Express, but it *might* be part of the OS install, or might come with Microsoft Office if you've got the right parts installed. You're more likely to have CDOSYS I think, if it's newer version of Windows. In googling a bit it looks like maybe SQL Server Express does have email stuff on the SQL Server side, but the core email components (DLLs) are not included and emailing-related services are disabled and buried.

Sorry for the waffly answer. :-)

Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)

dmbaker (11/19/2010)
Jeff Moden (11/18/2010)
Jeff Moden (11/4/2010)

Anyone?

I'm not certain, but I don't think CDONTS will be available. Don't think it'd be part of the install of SQL Server Express, but it *might* be part of the OS install, or might come with Microsoft Office if you've got the right parts installed. You're more likely to have CDOSYS I think, if it's newer version of Windows. In googling a bit it looks like maybe SQL Server Express does have email stuff on the SQL Server side, but the core email components (DLLs) are not included and emailing-related services are disabled and buried.

Sorry for the waffly answer. :-)

I am running 2008 developer, 2005 standard and Express and yes Express comes with the sp_OA just like SQL Server 2008 developer but no CDONTS. The reason those are COM dll which the developer division have depreciated since 2005 version of .NET.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)

clement.degroote (11/19/2010)
yes i did;
control total to everyone

If permissions is not the issue it may related to the attachement definition in the code. There are two ways to send attachments with System.net.mail one is to use filesystem or to use the streams both require System.IO Import or Using statement.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
clement.degroote
clement.degroote
Grasshopper

Hello.
Sorry, but I don't understand. Could you tell me more ?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.