Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using OVER with an Aggregate Function

Using OVER with an Aggregate Function

Author
brdudley
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hugo Kornelis (11/4/2010)

(If you take away the knowledge that you can use the OVER() clause for all aggregates except CHECKPOINT, that's fine. But if you intend to use this query for similar purposes, think again. There are far better ways to get the maximum tax rate per state/province id:

One other important take away, although not illustrated in this question, is that a Select can have multiple Over clauses with different Partitions. This is something that Group By cannot do.

Select StateProvinceID,
TaxType,
Max(TaxRate) Over (Partition by StateProvinceID),
Max(TaxRate) Over (Partition by StateProvinceID, TaxType)
from Sales.SalesTaxRate
Order by StateProvinceID

SanDroid
SanDroid
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

mislamuddin (11/3/2010)
Hi:
If select distinct specified order by item must appear in the select list and there will be error message as follows:
Msg 145, Line 15 St 1

I did not get this error.
Of course I also did not get the differance between the first two answers. Cool

Nice question about a great feature!
sjimmo
sjimmo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Very good question - I learned something today.

Hugo
If you take away the knowledge that you can use the OVER() clause for all aggregates except CHECKPOINT, that's fine. But if you intend to use this query for similar purposes, think again. There are far better ways to get the maximum tax rate per state/province id:

To look at the question and only talk about it's limitations makes one wonder why is it there.

brdudley
One other important take away, although not illustrated in this question, is that a Select can have multiple Over clauses with different Partitions. This is something that Group By cannot do.

Excellent addition to the questions functionality. I learned something more, and have already started playing with tests to see about changes, especially in some complex reports.

Thanks

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Thanks for the question. I had never considered using the OVER in this way.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

cdesmarais 49673
cdesmarais 49673
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I worry that the DISTINCT is going to give people the impression that OVER/PARTITION does the same thing as GROUP BY. It's an important distinction and the explanation doesn't make it clear.
getoffmyfoot
getoffmyfoot
Old Hand
Old Hand (344 reputation)Old Hand (344 reputation)Old Hand (344 reputation)Old Hand (344 reputation)Old Hand (344 reputation)Old Hand (344 reputation)Old Hand (344 reputation)Old Hand (344 reputation)

2 points! Woot
Dhruvesh Shah
Dhruvesh Shah
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)

got Confused between across all state & each state and got it wrong...Unsure
tilew-948340
tilew-948340
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)SSChasing Mays (629 reputation)

My engish beeing what it is, I did also not get the differance between the first two answers, but that's ok. I learned something new and it is the important thing. Thank you!
I am not sure of what "over" does thought...and yes, I was starting to thing that it does the same thing than a group by.
So, what would be the first purpose of using an Over(partition by) function?
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

tilew-948340 (11/4/2010)
My engish beeing what it is, I did also not get the differance between the first two answers, but that's ok. I learned something new and it is the important thing. Thank you!
I am not sure of what "over" does thought...and yes, I was starting to thing that it does the same thing than a group by.

First of all, nice question. I was remembered of the fact that OVER() can also be used with other functions except ranking functions.

To answer tilews question: most of the time (in my case that is :-)), OVER() and partition by is used with ranking functions.
An example:

SELECT * FROM
(SELECT
column1
,column2
ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY myBusinessKey ORDER BY Priority DESC) AS RID
FROM myTable) tmp
WHERE RID = 1

This code will select all the rows from a table, partition them by business key, order it by some column that designates a priority (doesn't have to be, but just for the sake of the example) and then selects every row with a row_number of 1. This will select all the rows with unique values of the business key and with the highest priority (thus returning no duplicates).

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

tilew-948340 (11/4/2010)

Hi Tilew,

If you take out the DISTINCT from the SELECT (and/or add a few extra columns), it becomes obvious. The MAX(...) OVER(PARTITION BY ...) gives you the maximum of a group in each row. In this case, without the DISTINCT, you would get one row for each SalesTaxRate, and each row would include the maximum TaxRate for the StateProvinceID of that row. Before we had the OVER() clause for aggregates, this could only be achieved with a subquery or a join with a derived table.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.