SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What will the results be for the code below?

What will the results be for the code below?

Author
john.arnott
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
The good thing is that I learned somethng here, and not about conversion precedence.

I answered that the intial assignment would fail as the CONVERT function seemed wrong. The third parameter, 101 in this case, is optional for converting strings to datetime but could be necessary to resolve ambiguities when some dates are presented in formats other than the db's local standard. I'd wrongly thought that the third parameter only worked for converting datetime TO a string.
timothy bates
timothy bates
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)

Nice QOTD.

I got it right but for different reasons. If you wanted to add an additional wrinkle try:
SELECT @Var2 = ' - ', @Var3 = CONVERT(DATETIME, '01/01/2010', 101),@Var1 = cast(@var3+5 as int);

SELECT @Var1 + @Var2 + @Var3 AS Result1;
If the perception is that this is performing date addition (e.g. Dateadd) the above expected result would be 5, not 2120-01-07 00:00:00.00.

Tim
jts2013
jts2013
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

A very good explantation - thanks. I got it right with a bit of guesswork, but hadn't realised that the operator precedence was the key.
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Toreador (11/1/2010)
Good question and I learnt something :-)

I wonder how many of those who got it right (70% at the moment) did so without running the script first!

I did :-D .... I've got my share wrong too. Crying

Christian Buettner-167247
Christian Buettner-167247
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Hm, am I the only one who thinks the given answer is false?
According to it, there will be a "type conversion". But instead there is only a "type conversion error". Two different things...

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Toreador
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Christian Buettner-167247 (11/2/2010)
Hm, am I the only one who thinks the given answer is false?

Almost certainly ;-)
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

A fun question, that suggests less than fortunate consequences of SQL's bizarre implicit type conversion and type precedence rules. In SQL (unlike almost every other programming language) it is NOT true that the binary operator "+" is associative in the absence of overflow.

Tom

UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Christian Buettner-167247 (11/2/2010)
According to it, there will be a "type conversion". But instead there is only a "type conversion error". Two different things...

I swear I had error in there, sorry about that. But I submitted the question about four months ago so I'm not sure my memory is completely accurate.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)

Good question - thanks

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Carto Query
Carto Query
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Hi there,

Newbie question alert! I was surprised to see datetime still defining the time, given that style 101 was named. Shouldn't this display only the mm/dd/yyyy?

I was referencing: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187928.aspx

Thanks.
Tammy
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.