Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Get NEWSEQUENTIALID

Get NEWSEQUENTIALID

Author
stevanuz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Get NEWSEQUENTIALID
gil.milbauer
gil.milbauer
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Good idea.

Maybe I'm missing something, but, I don't think you need @NextSequentialID at all, or the XxX column, or some other complexity in the table.

This seems to work:

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.sp_NewSequentialId
(@Id AS UNIQUEIDENTIFIER OUTPUT)
AS
BEGIN
SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @NewSequentialId AS TABLE (Id UNIQUEIDENTIFIER DEFAULT(NEWSEQUENTIALID()))

INSERT INTO @NewSequentialId DEFAULT VALUES;

SELECT @Id = Id
FROM @NewSequentialId;
END
GO

stevanuz
stevanuz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

thanks a lot...

"INSERT INTO @NewSequentialId DEFAULT VALUES;"

actually i don't know i can use DEFAULT VALUES Smile-
stevanuz
stevanuz
Forum Newbie

Yes, that should be the right way to do.
Thanks gil.milbauer...

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.sp_NewSequentialId
(@Id AS UNIQUEIDENTIFIER OUTPUT)
AS
BEGIN
SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @NewSequentialId AS TABLE (Id UNIQUEIDENTIFIER DEFAULT(NEWSEQUENTIALID()))

INSERT INTO @NewSequentialId DEFAULT VALUES;

SELECT @Id = Id
FROM @NewSequentialId;
END
GO
Patrick2525
Patrick2525
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)

I think I'm missing something too...

The purpose of the newsequentialid() is to be sequential in the context of a given table, yes? Therefore the SP would need to know the last uniqueidentifier used in a particular table in order to generate the next sequential uniqueidentifier, yes?

Perhaps the SP would need to accept a table name as a parameter, which it would query to find the last uniqueidentifier that would then use as the 'seed' value in the temp table, then inserting a new row to get the newsequentialid.

No?

Sorry if I'm missing something
gil.milbauer
gil.milbauer
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Even though it has "Sequential" in name, the values themselves are not really adjacent to each other. It's just that the next value will be greater than any previous value from the function on this computer, so there's no need to reference the last value in the table. I guess that the "sequential" part means that if you use it as a clustered key, each row will be stored sequentially in the order they were created.
Patrick2525
Patrick2525
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (121 reputation)

Ok... I guess I didn't really understand how the uniqueidentifier is generated - looks like it involves a sort of hex timestamp for the first 4 octets.

Thanks!
paul.millar
paul.millar
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

Hello SQL-ers,

It would seem that the very exact sounding error message is misleading...

"The newsequentialid() built-in function can only be used in a DEFAULT expression for a column of type 'uniqueidentifier' in a CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE statement. It cannot be combined with other operators to form a complex scalar expression."

One of our our devs kindly disproved this by inserting into a table with a newsequentialid() default column, just by a slightly different insert syntax.

Imagine the table has two columns, the second being the default column in question.

I was using:

insert [thetable] select 1

...which got the error msg - (oh no, I'm going to have to use newid() which causes fragmentation etc)

Whereas he succeeded using a column list in the insert defintion, ie:

insert [thetable] (col1) select 1

...which resulted in 1 in the first column and a correct newsequentialid() in the second column.

(this is all part of manually cranking the prep of tables for some merge replication crusade :-))
gil.milbauer
gil.milbauer
Grasshopper

Paul,

It seems that you had just tried to supply the wrong number of columns in the original insert, and has nothing to do with newsequentialid() (it could have been any datatype with a default). If you don't specify the list of columns to be inserted, then SQL Server will expect all of the non-identity columns to be supplied by the subsequent value-providing clause.

I'm surprised you didn't get this error:
Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition.

Specifying the column list (always a good practice) told SQL Server which column(s) to expect and to use the default value for any other column(s).
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)

Thanks for the script.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.