SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

what is PKM in SQl Server ?

Author
sntiwary
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

--snt

ray_higdon
ray_higdon
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)

OK, I'll bite! How about:

Primary Key Manager

Portable Key Manipulator

Package Kernel Mandate

Peak keyset marshaling

Sorry, I don't know, where do you see "PKM" in regards to sql server?

------------

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA
chrisleonard
chrisleonard
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I *think* I've seen PKM referred to by Microsoft as "Publishing and Knowledge Management," or something similar to that, and that MSSearch is part of Microsoft's PKM initiative. So I guess that would mean (or *might* mean?) that the full-text indexing in SQL Server is part of Microsoft's PKM initiative.

If this isn't right, do I at least get points for a credible, albeit utterly wild, guess?

Chris

Amit Jethva
Amit Jethva
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

As per BOL,
There is nothing called PKM 
-- Amit

-- Amit

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity."

Download the Updated SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
DanMcClain
DanMcClain
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)

Based on information I have seen on Microsoft's site, PKM = Publishing and Knowledge Management.

an example being:

Publishing and Knowledge Management Collaboration Data Objects (PKMCDO)

Dan

Paul Bourg
Paul Bourg
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (225 reputation)SSC Veteran (225 reputation)SSC Veteran (225 reputation)SSC Veteran (225 reputation)SSC Veteran (225 reputation)SSC Veteran (225 reputation)SSC Veteran (225 reputation)SSC Veteran (225 reputation)

Has anyone found a response to this posting. I am currently running SQL 2000 STD and the logs came up with numerous login failed messages. Upon putting Profiler trace on this server, I have come up with PKM application trying to log in from local machine with the NTUserName of "SYSTEM" and LoginName of "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". The server has been locked down pretty hard and only allows window authority to log in. Any ideas of what this application is and how to disable it? It isn't a running service and it isn't an application running on the machine unless it is a microsoft product running in the background. I have looked at Task Manager when the errors started and could not see anything of the "PKM" sort running anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Paul Bourg
NJ-DBA
NJ-DBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Most likely this is MS Search running as part of Full Text Search... I often see this on db servers hosting sharepoint databases.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (234K reputation)SSC Guru (234K reputation)SSC Guru (234K reputation)SSC Guru (234K reputation)SSC Guru (234K reputation)SSC Guru (234K reputation)SSC Guru (234K reputation)SSC Guru (234K reputation)

6-year old thread.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

NJ-DBA
NJ-DBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

hahaha! didn't even notice... was researching a similar topic and knew the answer so figured what the heck...
kaka_kaka
kaka_kaka
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)

Yes, PKM is internal Microst process which gets kicked up when Population of Full text index is going on.

SPID Status Login HostName BlkBy DBName Command CPUTime DiskIO LastBatch ProgramName SPID
58 RUNNABLE NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SERVERNAME . DBNAME SELECT 63 201 01/01 00:00:00 PKM 58
59 RUNNABLE NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SERVERNAME . DBNAME SELECT 125 34 01/01 00:00:00 PKM 59
61 RUNNABLE NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SERVERNAME . DBNAME SELECT 15 69 01/01 00:00:00 PKM 61
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.