Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Variable Array Table

Variable Array Table

Author
Christian Buettner-167247
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hugo Kornelis (10/12/2010)
The short explanation is that, within a [delimited identifier], you have to double the ] to get a single ] character.

Ah, that makes sense... Well, it doesn't completely, since I would expect that the opening square bracket should be escaped as well then for conistentcy. But whatever Smile

Still, SMO seems to have some issues dropping the table. But it looks like it's not the delimiter that is causing the problem, but a unix like linefeed instead of carriage return with linefeed between the "statements" in the name.

Following is the statement that returns no rows because of the linefeeds when trying to drop the table via SSMS (recorded via profiler). The linefeeds (0x0A) can be seen by converting to varbinary(max) for example.
SELECT
SCHEMA_NAME(tbl.schema_id) AS [Schema],
tbl.name AS [Name]
FROM
sys.tables AS tbl
WHERE
(tbl.name=N'VarArray[](i int)
--GO
begin tran
insert into Vararray(i) SELECT 1
rollback
--GO
while 1 = 1' and SCHEMA_NAME(tbl.schema_id)=N'dbo'
)

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Arjun SreeVastsva
Arjun SreeVastsva
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

oh....what a answer...i selected onlyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx........But my answer was wrong
lukus_g
lukus_g
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)

Hugo Kornelis, you are a ninja!
i feel like i learned something now Smile
i was pretty confused by the question, and even the explanation of why i got it wrong, but now i can see clearly what's goin on.

Thanks!
Toreador
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

What a bizarre question!
free_mascot
free_mascot
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Splendid work!!

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

lukus_g (10/12/2010)
Hugo Kornelis, you are a ninja!

True! Well, except for the trendy clothes, the superior stealth, the extreme strength and endurance, the ability to kill without getting killed or caught, and the generic sheer awesomeness of course.:-D
But thanks anyway!:-)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Interesting question. Good follow on discussion.
jcarsley
jcarsley
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

This question completely wasted my time. It serves little use to anybody.
jwbart06
jwbart06
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

I felt it was worth two points , sure stumped me.

Make you think outside the box.

Thank you
Richard M.
Richard M.
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Carlo, nice try with this Question of the Day, but I really learned more with Hugo's explanation......

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.
You can't delete your own posts.