SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Potential Issue with Re-Naming Stored Procedures

Potential Issue with Re-Naming Stored Procedures

Author
Moe M
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Yes after the re-name has occured if you alter procedure then it will update the syscomments

Moe M
Database Consultant
http://www.cubeangle.com
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

But if you're going to rename and alter, you might as well just drop and create. It's cleaner.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Moe M
Moe M
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

Agreed. DROP/CREATE is also easier to be put in a script

Moe M
Database Consultant
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

For the same reason I never use sp_rename to rename object in sql server.

Always prefer if exist method.

if exists (select * from sys.objects where object_id = object_id(N'[dbo].[Object_name]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(object_id, N'IsProcedure') = 1)
drop procedure [dbo].[object_name]
GO
Create procedure dbo.object_name
as

SQL DBA.
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Nice article, I think it is good to bring light to this situation.

However, I think it is interesting that you only found the problem because of bad data on a report. Does your application to copy the database not report the errors it encounters while transferring objects? (Proper error handling could have saved you hours of investigation.)
Moe M
Moe M
Valued Member

UMG Developer (10/7/2010)
Nice article, I think it is good to bring light to this situation.

However, I think it is interesting that you only found the problem because of bad data on a report. Does your application to copy the database not report the errors it encounters while transferring objects? (Proper error handling could have saved you hours of investigation.)

Well as far as the application is concerned no error has occured here. The SQLDMO pulled all objects and scripted them successfully. Only when running the generated script have you the chance to check the errors and see if any of your create statements have failed due to duplicate create statements and of course we failed at this point.

Moe M
Database Consultant
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Mohammad Meimandi (10/7/2010)[hrWell as far as the application is concerned no error has occured here. The SQLDMO pulled all objects and scripted them successfully. Only when running the generated script have you the chance to check the errors and see if any of your create statements have failed due to duplicate create statements and of course we failed at this point.

OK, I thought that the application generated and executed the scripts, but I see I missed the part that you run the scripts manually.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)

Thanks for the article.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

davepaulino
davepaulino
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

We also encountered this problem when we generate using sql compare application. Our workaround is to drop and recreate the procedure or functions. Great article!
Moe M
Moe M
Valued Member

CirquedeSQLeil (10/7/2010)
Thanks for the article.

Thanks for reading it!

Moe M
Database Consultant
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.