As you all probably know, one of the new features of SQL2008 is database compression. This (could) represent a huge cost savings to our company by reducing the need to purchase expensive SAN equipment. Does anyone out there have any experience with running compressed databases in production environments?
- What kind of database(s) were the? How much space savings did you get?
- What kind of hardware is the DBMS running on?
- Did the compression induce any performance related problems?
- How much effort is it to analyze each table and determine if should be compressed using row compression or page compression.
- At the end of the day was there a net savings after purchasing the SQL2008 license and cutting back disk usage?