Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Normalization

Normalization

Author
sadhwanipankaj
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi guy's,
I really Need Some example to do normalized database....
Thanks,
Pankaj
"Born TO Learn"
vidya_pande
vidya_pande
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (929 reputation)SSC Eights! (929 reputation)SSC Eights! (929 reputation)SSC Eights! (929 reputation)SSC Eights! (929 reputation)SSC Eights! (929 reputation)SSC Eights! (929 reputation)SSC Eights! (929 reputation)

please search for basics of normalization on internet and read it.

sadhwanipankaj
sadhwanipankaj
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

will you please give me an full proof example of this ...i have searched on internet but didn't got good example
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Click:A Normalization Primer and From MSDN

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
marerose888
marerose888
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Boy I am with you on that one. I have been researching for several hours all over the internet and I can't find a sql plan that works. I have never heard of anyone creating separate tables when you have repeating groups....for one thing the repeating groups are field names that general are associated with a metric and the additiona table doesn't make sense. You want to privot the repeating groups into one field and associate a row and metric for each repeating group. The good ETL tools do it great, I just want to know what the pivot code looks like and how it could work.

Actually since I don't have access to SQL Server I would like to know how you would perform a pivot in MS Access....any ideas??

Mare
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

marerose888 (8/24/2010)
Boy I am with you on that one. I have been researching for several hours all over the internet and I can't find a sql plan that works. I have never heard of anyone creating separate tables when you have repeating groups....for one thing the repeating groups are field names that general are associated with a metric and the additiona table doesn't make sense. You want to privot the repeating groups into one field and associate a row and metric for each repeating group. The good ETL tools do it great, I just want to know what the pivot code looks like and how it could work.

Actually since I don't have access to SQL Server I would like to know how you would perform a pivot in MS Access....any ideas??

Mare
You should start a new thread(topic) for your query

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
mally.arjun
mally.arjun
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Read this
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/abhijit_desai/2010/09/07/noramlization/
Keith Tate
Keith Tate
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)

sadhwanipankaj (3/30/2010)
will you please give me an full proof example of this ...i have searched on internet but didn't got good example

First off there is no "fool proof" when it comes to normalization. There are defined rules, but the interpretation of those rules varies widely. Can you provide more details on what you are looking to do? Is it just to learn about normalization? If so, then there are already some good links on this thread. Do you need to normalize an already existing database? and why?

If you can expand on your question someone should be able to help you with this.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Steve-3_5_7_9
Steve-3_5_7_9
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283878

http://databases.about.com/od/specificproducts/a/normalization.htm

Universities devote a few weeks a semester of a database class to normalization, so it will take you some time to learn and practice. At least back when I was in university.

The internet search doesn't take too long.

Do a search for Boyce-Codd Normal Form. In the past, this was considered the goal for normalization (3rd normal form). Like everything in IT, it DEPENDS on the specific database and performance considerations as to whether or not to "normalize" or not.

Steve

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.