SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server 2008 R2 release

SQL Server 2008 R2 release

Author
river1
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi guys

Do you know when will SQL Server 2008 R2 be released? (not the CPT).

The real version , ready to use in production.

Thank you.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)

Group: Administrators
The guidance is first half 2010. I would guess it's a May/June release, but I have no idea. The Dev connections event is in March and should include the release of VS 2010

http://www.devconnections.com/shows/SP2010VS/default.asp?s=144

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
river1
river1
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

thank you.

One last question about SQL Server.

Do you know if there are developing a new version? like SQL Server 2012 or something like that?

What i mean is ? do they have already a new SQL Server project in development? for 2011 or 2012?

Thank you .
rambilla4
rambilla4
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Hi Steve,

I would like to know what is the current version of SQL Server 2008, that can be used for Production?

Because we are planning to Upgrade our SQL Server 2005 servers to SQL Server 2008 in March 2010.

Do we need to wait until SQL Server 2008 R2 release?

Is the the current version of SQL Server 2008 (as of today) CANNOT be used for Production?

I really appreciate your advice and it will help us to plan Upgrade to SQL Server 2008

many thanks
Ram
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)

River1,

There usually is some planning for the next version as the current one is being finished. In other words, AFAIK, right now there are

- Support people working on patching SQL 2005/ SQL 2008
- A large team of people working on SQL Server 2008 R2 getting it ready for release next year.
- A small team of people working on SQL 11, which is the version likely to be released in 2011/2012.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Rambilla,

The current released version of SQL Server is SQL Server 2008. It has one service pack, having been released in Aug 2008 and it is fine for production. You need to test your code/application, but there are plenty of people using this in production and it is what Microsoft is selling.

The next version, which I believe will be SQL v10.5, is SQL Server 2008 R2 and it is scheduled to be released next year in 2010. There is a public CTP out now, but it is not supported by Microsoft for production use.

If you want to upgrade in March, you should upgrade to SQL 2008, but I would recommend that you not do that if you have a choice. I would look for a July/Aug upgrade to SQL 2008 R2. That way you would have support for 5 full years and not be unsupported as quickly.

mturnow
mturnow
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Will the upgrade from SQL 2008 to SQL 2008 R2 be treated like a service pack or will we have to buy it? I just paid for an upgrade from 2005 to 2008 this summer!
Urvis
Urvis
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (413 reputation)SSC-Addicted (413 reputation)SSC-Addicted (413 reputation)SSC-Addicted (413 reputation)SSC-Addicted (413 reputation)SSC-Addicted (413 reputation)SSC-Addicted (413 reputation)SSC-Addicted (413 reputation)

Hello,

What are the differences between SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 release?

We are planning to upgrade 150 + servers from SQL Server 2005. It will be great help if you provide details information at your earliest.

Thanks,

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.