SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Easy Licenses

Easy Licenses

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Easy Licenses

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
What a scary concept, giving visibility into how many distinct users are actually connecting.. My god, you might license near the correct number and not over pay..

I see it costing companies licensing revenue so they would resist it.. FUD is a good way to force you over-license..

CEWII
lokkers
lokkers
Valued Member
Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)

Or the developers could implement a service-hosted data access layer, meaning that all connections to SQL Server come through one account. 1 user == 1 CAL, irrespective of how many real life users connect to that service! ;-)
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

lokkers (11/19/2009)
Or the developers could implement a service-hosted data access layer, meaning that all connections to SQL Server come through one account. 1 user == 1 CAL, irrespective of how many real life users connect to that service! ;-)
I seem to remember something from the license precludes that method..

CEWII
Crosan
Crosan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)

For a 100 person company, i think you're missing a zero, it'd be $16,200 for licensing CALs wouldn't it?
rf44
rf44
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)

This is a great idea, and I would like to see (and use) such an utility too !
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Using an app the mutliplexes means you still must license all clients. It's not just the one connection.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
jay-h
jay-h
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

A number of our enterprise applications use the Flexlm system. It automatically manages license counts, users can come and go (some applications even allow a user to 'check out' a license for use while travelling), administration is really quite straightforward.

I would like to see MS do that (as an open system, so that other vendors can also use it for their products)

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
aaron-403220
aaron-403220
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)

Don't many companies, including MS, license by user requests even if they go through one unique user?
EG: you many have 1000 users accessing SQL Server through one account.
GSquared
GSquared
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)

Easy enough to have a trace that grabs the host data for the connection, and then dump that into a table for analysis.

Would probably want to use events 14 and 17, columns 6, 7, 8, 11. (sp_trace_setevent)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.