SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client install

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client install

Author
ruchika thapa
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
X86 Package (sqlncli.msi) - 3516 KB
X64 Package (sqlncli_x64.msi) - 6403 KB

Should i install 32 bit or 64 bit Microsoft SQL Server Native on application server? THe backend database server for this application is sql server 2005 sp2 64 bit.
Sergey Vavinskiy
Sergey Vavinskiy
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)

Why do you want to install SS native client on App server? I am just curious.
ruchika thapa
ruchika thapa
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

It was the requirement for the application.
ruchika thapa
ruchika thapa
SSC-Enthusiastic

FYI, application will even uses analysis services. May be for analysis services. It need sql server backward compability apart from native client. I even have question should i install 32 bit or 64 bit on 32 app server to connect to 64 bit sql server?
Sergey Vavinskiy
Sergey Vavinskiy
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)

I don't think you have to install anything even if you have MDAC application.
The Windows already has MDAC components including SQL Sever native client, you just may want to check it version.
ruchika thapa
ruchika thapa
SSC-Enthusiastic

NAtive client is application's requirement.but don't know why they need that. HOw can we say MDAC is installed ?
Sergey Vavinskiy
Sergey Vavinskiy
SSC-Addicted

NAtive client is application's requirement.

Yes, I understand. I am just think it is already installed with MDAC.
There are two different ways to check which version of Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) is installed on a system:
-Use the Component Checker tool.
-Check the version information that is stored in the registry.
ruchika thapa
ruchika thapa
SSC-Enthusiastic

I even can't find out if MDAC is installed or not. HOw i can find that? I will worry about version later once i know MDAC is installed.
Sergey Vavinskiy
Sergey Vavinskiy
SSC-Addicted

It is not about version. The only way to find MDAC is verify the version. If you see the version, something like 2.0, that means you have it installed.

This is link, and I would recommend the second way there:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301202
Sergey Vavinskiy
Sergey Vavinskiy
SSC-Addicted

Here is how to check it through Registries:

The version information is found in the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DataAccess\FullInstallVer

To check the registry, follow these steps:
On the Start menu, click Run.
In the Open text box, type regedit and then click OK; this starts Registry Editor.
In the Navigation pane, drill-down to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DataAccess
In the Details pane, look in the Name column for FullInstallVer and Version. Each of these keys will have corresponding version information in the Data column.
When finished, click Exit on the Registry menu to close Registry Editor.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.