SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSIS Variable Expressions

SSIS Variable Expressions

Author
Carol Adams
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I created a transfer database task...I want to use a variable I created "InDatabase" as the database name for my source database.
How do I link the variable to the property for SOURCEDATABASENAME?
I entered User::Indatabase, but when I ran the job I got an error saying the task needed a source database name. THen I opened the properties and the User::Indatabase was gone.

Help please.
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Edit the task. Choose 'Expressions' and create a new one by clicking on the ellipsis, then select SourceDatabaseName as your property and enter the variable expression under 'Expression' ...

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Carol Adams
Carol Adams
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)

ok. i did that, i entered @[User::InDatabase]

but it is still aborting on me. how can a debug it to see what my sqltask is popluating the variable with?
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Add a Script task after your SQL task.

Click on Script and In ReadOnlyVariables, enter User::InDatabase

Click on Design Script and enter just one line in Main() to make it look like this:

Public Sub Main()
'
' Add your code here
'
MsgBox(Dts.Variables("InDatabase").Value)
Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success
End Sub

Then try running again - a message box containing the contents of the variable should pop up.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Carol Adams
Carol Adams
SSC Veteran

I am missing something. It is throwing an exception when i added the msgbox.
THe code has the following files included:

Imports System
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Math
Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime

This is the error....

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Variables.get_Item(Object index)
at ScriptTask_9d230469898049ae9e322c79be925a0d.ScriptMain.Main
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
One Orange Chip

See my preceding post - the line in bold. It was not showing correctly before, so I just edited it. Maybe that was your problem.

Carol Adams
Carol Adams
SSC Veteran

ok, that worked.

it has my database name in the msgbox

still saying i need a sourcedatabasename

when i edit the task, sourcedatabasename is empty

expressions has SourceDatabaseName with @[User::Indatabase]
Tim Mitchell
Tim Mitchell
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Check the case - you had previously noted the name of the variable was InDatabase, but your most recent post shows it as Indatabase. SSIS is case sensitive for variable names.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
ETL Best Practices

Carol Adams
Carol Adams
SSC Veteran

yeah the case and spelling are correct...
am i right and the SourceDatabaseName property should be blank since I have an expression set up pointing to my variable?
Tim Mitchell
Tim Mitchell
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Yes, you are correct that the database name would be left blank if you're using a variable.

Can you check the SourceConnection to make sure you have a valid source specified?

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
ETL Best Practices

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.