SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

could not start the SQL Server(MSSQLSERVER) Service on local computer.

could not start the SQL Server(MSSQLSERVER) Service on local computer.

Author
raym
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I installed sql server 2005 on my machine i keep getting the following errors......when i start up the services I get the following services..

Could not start the SQL Server(MSSQLSERVER) Service on local computer.
Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified

an error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. when connecting to sql server 2005, this failure may be faused by the fact that under the default seetings Sql server does not allow remote connections.

How can I fix it

Mohit K. Gupta
Mohit K. Gupta
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)

Check to confirm the SQL Install completed successfully and your setup path information for the master database is correct.

You can you use "SQL Server Configuration Manager" to see the startup parameters for the SQLServer Service.

Mohit.

---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN.
Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. Smooooth

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here.
raym
raym
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)Right there with Babe (779 reputation)

These are the startup parameters in my Sql Server Configuration path

-dC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf;-eC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG;-lC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf

Dump Directory - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\

I'm not sure if this is what you are refering to in your answer ? Does this look correct ? I've also attached the Settings for the following Sql ServerConfig manager, registry settings & Startup Menu Settings

Attachments
Sql Server Configuration manager.doc (400 views, 85.00 KB)
registrySettings.doc (277 views, 127.00 KB)
StartUpMenu Settings.doc (258 views, 121.00 KB)
Mohit K. Gupta
Mohit K. Gupta
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)

raym (4/13/2009)
-dC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf;-eC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG;-lC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf

These are correct; but please go to that path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\ and see if said files exist in the directories.

Looking at the screenshots you do got everything installed; but it doesn't tell me why it is not working. File path not found error indicates some directory or databaes it needs it cannot access. If it was a user database it would show up as suspect db; since your SQL fails to start I am assuming it can't see the master (system) database.

Mohit.

---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN.

* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. Smooooth

george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

An error log should be created each time it tries to start, any further info in those?

check out application view in eventvwr as well.

sounds like it might not be able to find the sqlervr.exe. which should be in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\binn

is it there?

which file does the services applet for mssqlserver say it is trying to execute, and is it present?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
raym
raym
Right there with Babe

You are right the file doesn't exist. Is it not supposed to copy the file during installation ? Do I have to re-install or I have to copty the file from the CD ?In the event viewer this is all I can pick up

NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Failed to compile: Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 . Error code = 0x80070002

Attachments
SQLDir.doc (147 views, 181.00 KB)
EventLog.txt (131 views, 294.00 KB)
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

If the file does not exist who knows what may be missing as well. If this install has never run you have nothing to lose, I would uninstall\reinstall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Mohit K. Gupta
Mohit K. Gupta
SSCertifiable

As George said re-install might be you only open; but from your previous screen shots some components did get installed.

When you were installing did by chance enter another folder for install location?

If not you might not be able to uninstall because not all the components are not there. You might have to look into manually uninstalling SQL Server's current install...

Have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967/.

Thanks.

---

manolomalaga
manolomalaga
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)

May be an error in the Windows installer package. You can try to install the last version of Windows installer. And reinstalling SQL Sever
raym
raym
Right there with Babe

Hi,

I unistalled sql and reinstalled it and it worked. Thank you very much

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.