Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Falling Over our Assumptions

Falling Over our Assumptions

Author
Phil Factor
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (955 reputation)SSC Eights! (955 reputation)SSC Eights! (955 reputation)SSC Eights! (955 reputation)SSC Eights! (955 reputation)SSC Eights! (955 reputation)SSC Eights! (955 reputation)SSC Eights! (955 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Falling Over our Assumptions

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
David in .AU
David in .AU
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)

"Don't bother with that complicated outer join, just use the IN keyword"
RBarryYoung
RBarryYoung
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

You know what you do when you Presume? You make a Pres out of U and Me.

No, wait. That's not right ...

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
w.durkin@online.de
w.durkin@online.de
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (517 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (517 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (517 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (517 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (517 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (517 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (517 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (517 reputation)

".....but we've always done it that way"

"No need for that where clause, we can filter the results in the GUI"

Regards

GermanDBA

Regards,

WilliamD
P Jones
P Jones
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)Right there with Babe (778 reputation)

"If I just join these five views together I can select the three colums I want."
which leads to
"Why does this application run so slowly?"

Never mind that they are complex, many tables, many columns selected, non-indexed views and the same tables are referenced multiple times and all it really needed was a simple select with a join on two or even three tables!
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

A few really insidious ones I regularly see are

"....the user is always wrong"
"I know my sphere of expertise inside out, so I must know yours better than you as well"
"I will lose face or respect if I admit ignorance"

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
IceDread
IceDread
Old Hand
Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)

Anyone come across one stored procedure, using a couple of cursors who in turn uses a few sp's that rely on several udf's so you end up with this huge tree? Where instead some temporary tables with the correct queries would just shorten it down to a very very small tree instead? I hate cursors that is used regularly in the code when in my mind cursors should only be used for easy use for something you want to do once. I find people who write cursors are not used to sql but keep the c/c#/java/etc programming style with them into the database.
SBS-291204
SBS-291204
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)

Group: Administrators
"look it's just a place to store data..."
Paul.
Paul.
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (207 reputation)SSC Veteran (207 reputation)SSC Veteran (207 reputation)SSC Veteran (207 reputation)SSC Veteran (207 reputation)SSC Veteran (207 reputation)SSC Veteran (207 reputation)SSC Veteran (207 reputation)

Two I can think of;

"Dynamic SQL is always better than stored procedures".
and;
"Stored procedures are always better than dynamic SQL".

Oh, and a bonus one that I've seen in practice is the assumption that primary- and foreign-keys are optional.

Paul

paul.gregory
paul.gregory
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Not sure I agree with "'Get something up and running. We can always tidy it up later' "

You should always plan to have to tune/improve some parts of the system. When you are testing and let's say you have two testers at your disposal, there is no way you can simulate 2000 users, Deadlocks and such may only become apparent later.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.